Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Complaint Letter/Reply

Here's what happened when I took my younger son for an examination on his right leg (turned out that he torn his femur muscles.) In the letter, I wrote a letter to the Supervisor about the nurse's demeanor.

Dear Ms. Barrera:

On November 9, 2009, I brought my minor son, Ryan McClellan to Eastake Children's Primary Medical Office after he had injured his right leg. We waited in the reception area for two hours.

After we were placed in an examination room, I decided to read my son's medical chart that was placed up in the front of our patient room while we were waiting. Unfortunately, one of the nurses, Gloria Sandoval told me that I was forbidden to read my own son's medical chart. She then removed the chart from the door so I could not access it.

Then, she approached to Doctor Abraham Broudy what had happened before seeing us. She handed the chart directly to him. By that time, Dr.Broudy came to check with my son's right leg. After the visit was complete, I questioned if I had the rights to check my child's chart. First, he apologized. He then said, "Normally it is between the doctor and the patient. You can have all of the copies if you would like."

As Ryan's parent,I have every right to be able to read my son's chart. I should not have to explain my reasons and I do not think that it was appropriate for the nurse to not only tell me that I was not allowed to read the chart but to physically remove the chart from my presence.

I surely hope this will not happen again. I do look forward to getting a reply from you. Please contact me at this above address, or e-mail address.


Sincerely,

Laura McClellan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I got a reply from her:

Good afternoon Mrs. McClellan,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I do want to apologize for the long wait that you experienced the day you brought in Ryan. Patients have been experiencing a longer wait than usual do to it now being the flu season and having one provider out of the office due to a personal emergency. Although we do try to accommodate all of our patients, it also makes it a little more difficult if a patient walks in without an appointment because the staff does not have the appropriate time to prepare the chart. My staff and providers are working as hard as
possible to make this a good experience for all our patients.


Regarding your sons Medical Record the employee is actually correct. It is our policy that parents do not go through the patients chart only because things may get misinterpreted. Although you do have every right to your child's medical record we have to follow a process which is having the parent sign a medical release form and be given copies of medical record. Also as a patient you do have a right to view the
medical records with a provider present. I do apologize for the actions of the employee and for not having her properly explain our company policy. I will make sure that I speak to my staff to ensure this does not happen again.

5 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

That is odd. What is the difference if you read the original chart or the copy of the chart? It is same info! Sorry that you had to go through this.

Alicia said...

That is crazy! Its your son!

C and B Scene said...

I doubt that their "policy" would stand up to a court suit.
While there is a good reason for their wanting to have the patient /parent look at their medical records with a doctor present (so that they don't misinterpret the medical language), the nurse should have given you the form to sign then let you read it. You could still talk to the doctor about any questions you might have.

C and B Scene said...

How did he injure his leg?

Laura and the family said...

Mom, I normally ask doctor's questions during the visit. It just happened I wanted to review his records-- it is like you wanted to remember when you wrote a diary.

There is no way of knowing how did he end up hurting himself. My husband and I suspected that he hurt himself at recess because he came home with a real dirty pant (mud spots) He eventually hurt himself... not sure.. other time, I am aware he grew 4 1/2 since August (I did look it up in the chart before I was taken away from the nurse.)