Saturday, September 12, 2009

School Name

Since two schools (Vista Square and Maryland Avenue Elementary Schools were closed to downsizing students) became one BIG program, we all had to create the school name. We, the staff, had to avoid political for both signing and oral students and parents by creating the school name.

At first, we planned on naming the school: I. King Jordan, the first Deaf Gallaudet President in 124 years. But knowing it would be extremely difficult because Gallaudet is a deaf and signing school. We did not want to give the parents the wrong impression while they are favoring their child to be in oral program.

By the time I got home from staff meeting, I had a deliberation with my husband. He gave me several pin points of why we should be naming the school, "Davila Day School." I then immediately e-mailed to my boss. From that point, she e-mailed all of the staff to vote either: I.K. Jordan, or Davila Day School.

Here are the reasons we are naming the school, "Davila Day School":

1. Robert Davila became deaf at the age of 8

2. He was president of CAID

3. He was vice president of Gallaudet for 20 years.

2. Was a former secretary assistant Department of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services in the U.S. Department of Education (1989 - 1993) He was one of the highest federal ranking deaf individuals.

3. Was superintendent of the New York School for the Deaf in White Plains (93-96)

4. Was selected to be the President for National Institution for the Deaf (96-06) until he retired.

5. Was a temporary replacement after I. K. Jordon, left Gallaudet University. (07)

6. He can speak and write Spanish fluently-- even has developed a clear speaking voice as well as a confident signing. –

**6. He was born San Diego and attended California School for the Deaf Berkley (now Fremont.)

The result of the vote was "Davila Day School." I honesty can say I am pleased because I would certainly think that would be appropriate. Now, we are exciting to put the new sign, "Davila Day School." And more importantly, we, the staff, all are anxious to invite Robert Davila to welcome the offically new program: Davila Day School.

1 comment:

panyfamily said...

FABOULOUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!