Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hearing Aider

I once had a hearing pre-school student in my classroom at the beginning of the school year. She eventually was sent to Oral, non-signing, class along with the other deaf pre - school students. It matches to her grade levels.

However, this is a really funny yet true story about this particular hearing student. A few weeks after she was sent to Oral class, she noticed she was different from her classmates. The difference is that she did not have any hearing aids nor wearing a Cochlear Implants, a popular fad for the hearing parents of deaf child. She had requested her mother to purchase a hearing aid. Have you ever thought about a hearing child wants a hearing aid? It cracked me up. Without saying no to this child, the mother had an idea. The mother of a hearing child ordered a Plush hearing aid from the Build A Bear Workshop Store online. It was only two dollars. (This will be interesting when it arrives, seeing her wearing a plush hearing aid, and reacting from her and the other deaf students.)

Not only requesting by providing her a hearing aid, she also pleaded to go to the speech therapy because all of her deaf classmates go to speech therapy. She raised her hand, "Me too, I need to have a speech lesson!" Who ever thought about liking to go to a speech therapy? She was one of the unique children who would request for a speech therapy. I did not like attending speech therapy until I was in high school due to wanting to practice for my Key Note Graduation. But I thought this is one of the funniest stories I have ever had in my teaching years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please explain why this cutie hearing little girl was in the Oral class? Also, was she in the class for the whole year or not? I'd love to hear more stories about her. :^) Thanks, Shermay

Laura and the family said...

It is because I have students from Grade 1 through 3rd, and one 4th grade. Dealing a pre-school student is not the best place for her while I am teaching academic courses. She is learning lots of hand-on activities. She is only three. I wanted her to feel having the same ages with her deaf peers. Her deaf peers still signs with her at the recess. Thus, she is learning to sign in a reverse class.

Yes, she will be attending this class for an entire year. It will leave us wondering about her upcoming future.