Sunday, September 6, 2009

Update Classroom

It has been a month and a half working for San Diego County Department of Education as a Deaf and Hard of Hearing teacher. I actually enjoyed my job very much to work variety of students from age six to nine years old (first through fourth grade.) Working variety of grade levels are not easy to do. In fact, I had to break into three groups in order to get their instructional lessons from me and the aide. One of the groups get an independent lesson for a few minutes. Then, I routine the group. For instance, one of the groups will be keeping themselves busy by practicing their skills from the Writing Center. Each student has their name in the box.

This is the first time in a long time, I have to work lots of paperwork over the weekend because of high demanding parents. In a way, it is good to see many students have supports at home than I had in years. Thus, I had to keep my work up over the years, including using the practice book from the curriculum books at all subjects.

While I have high demanding parents, I came up lots of visual aids and hand-on activities. For instance, I had students created their Geography diorama: Desert, Forrest, and Mountain in time for the Open House. Another thing I have done was having each students making Earth after they had learned recognizing 4 oceans and 7 continents.

Since I kept the class under the control yet keep them motivation at the same time, I came up with the ideas of positive rewarding the tickets. Earning a ticket or two are for: having positive behavior all week, reading five books per week, doing all of the homework from the spiral book, and getting 80 % or better on Quiz/Test. At the end of each month, we do the prize drawing. THEY LOVE it!

Not only students loving my ideas, my BIG boss from the County expressed to me, " I am SOOO thrilled to have you here. I always get exciting whenever I walk in your classroom. You are a good teacher." Don't you know how I feel when I see that statement from my BIG boss from the County?" It inspired me.

No comments: