Saturday, February 9, 2008

I CAN READ!

This is an exciting moment to share with you all that my younger son Ryan, who is in Kindergarten, can read at between first and second grade level. Actually, I already started noticing he can read at a kindergarten book, "Five Little Monkeys Jumping off the Bed."

Last week, I noticed he might be reading at a higher level because he read some of the passages from Dylan's all time favorite series, " The Magic Tree House." That even included the word, "whisper!"

So, I asked his special education teacher what was his reading level. To make a double check that we both are on the same page, she had another evaluator assessing him because I wanted to buy him appropriate reading level for him. As a result, the evaluator was pleased to see that he does have excellent intonation and fluency when he read difficult text. He could recognize the words beyond second grade, but he is weak on reading comprehension.

Both his teachers: special and general education teachers and I agreed that he would be better to start off from the book, "I CAN READ"at a first grade level, and ask him comprehension questions. That would build his comprehension skills.

While he was reading his new book, I thought you might like to hear hear what he was saying. (Note: Ryan was feeling antsy while reading a book because he just got a haircut. At the end, he realized I was filming him. He actually loathes having a picture taken or being filmed.)


2 comments:

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Too cute for words!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the video. Have him read to Fluffy. I've read that if kids read to animals it increases their fluency.