Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tough Love

Last Saturday early morning, Dylan woke us up at 1:30 A.M. crying constantly. At that time, he was telling me that his ears were hurting him badly. I handed him two tablets of Children's Tylenol . But guess what? It didn't help him.

Thus, he chose to cry until 6: 30 AM! I was REALLY POOPED out because the day before Ryan had a left ear infection. Dylan did not leave us any choice. I ended up taking him to an Emergency Room because both the doctor's office and Urgent Care were closed.

While we were in an Emergency room, he still had an uncontrollable crying for hours. Both doctors and I had tried to console him for hours even giving him an oral medication. He just reluctant to take any of our assistance.

By the time we got home, it was noon. He fell fast asleep without a medication. Could you image that I did not get enough sleep from 1:30 AM until noon? I frankly only had three hours of sleep. David was kind enough to let me take a three hour of nap while Dylan slept most of the afternoon.

Later after I woke up from a sweet nap, David went to get the prescription for Dylan. I was all ready to give him the medication. Still he refused to take it! My frustration grew for his stubbornness.

At the end of the straw, I took him out in the back and shove him the medication. He was stunned and got REALLY MAD at me. I then lectured him, "You are seven years old. You either can get worse if you don't take any medication for your ear infection, or get better with a medication. It is your choice." I walked away and locked him outside for ten minutes in order to make him think about his demeanor.

Ten minutes later, he signed to me from outside, " Mom, I learned my lesson. I will take medication." Believe it or not, he has cooperated me ever since.

Have you ever done any tough love with your children??? If you have, what was it?

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Way to go Laura. I know it wasn't easy, but sometimes we are left with out choices.

Anonymous said...

***Hands waving***

I echo the comment above by Aimee! We have to strategize once again after the options are exhausted and remain FIRM no matter what! Communicate and communicate...it is effective from the start to the end!

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

The summer your husband was 18 years old and waiting to leave for college in New York he began to think he did not need to do chores around the house. There were bricks he needed to lay out back, and so we waited and waited. When he asked about his plane ticket to New York I ask about the bricks getting put in. What a surprise, the very next day I came home from work and all the bricks were in. He got his plane ticket and all ended well.

Anonymous said...

We've all been there:) Good job, mom