Thursday, February 7, 2008

Walkaholics

Hey, come to think of this new definition for me !

Believe it or not, I have done all kinds of excerises for years until I had Ryan. The physical fitnesses I have done were: running, swimming, cycling and karating except for walking.

1. Believe it or not, I used to run daily with my barefooted dad on the weekends and even joined 3K for the fund raising. I had to pretend that I didn't see my dad for not wearing his running shoes when the strangers were starting at us.

2. Swimming was my all-time favorite sports. I used to swim over 200 laps per day, 4 hours daily. That means I even had to wake up at dawn and be at the high school pool at 5:15 A.M. The best part of being in swimming was swimming against the Variety Breaststrokes with the high school boys in Finals. My mom was there shouting from the bench, "Go, Go, Laura!" Then she realized I couldn't hear her shouting, but her presence meant a lot to me.

3. Riding on my cycling was another thing I have done without having a driving license. It was a good thing I didn't get my license until I was 18! My best average of riding a bike was 36 miles per day for Mc Donald's fund raising. Not only doing the fund raising, I remember running a bike at Big Bear Lake on Alpine Magic Mountain, the top of the mountain, down to the bottom of the hill without realizing the brakes weren't working properly. Good thing, I didn't crash to other cyclists or cracked my head. (The helmet didn't invent at that time.)

4. Last, I earned a brown belt. It meant I was only two belts away from getting a black belt. Too bad, I was not able to compete with Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris. However, I did flip one of the students over at a recess because he didn't believe I could do karate. From then on, he never bothered me again. So watch out because I still have the left-over karate skill. It would be wise to be nice to me.

5. Walking??? Believe it or not, it is a new definition for me. I have joined the walking club at my work site. I wear Pedometer daily. With 15 of us walked more than 31 miles within a week! Our destination is to plan on beating the race against the cafeteria worker's. The only crime is a lonely pedometer sitting on the bathroom vanity. So, I just reset my pedometers and keep on walkin' throughout the day! At the same time, it is a good thing I'm rovering from one classroom to another.

Consequently, I come to think that it is a valid excuse to keep me going throughout the day, even a slight excuse such as making copies for other teachers' request (not my job description but winning against the cafeteria workers fits my plan.) That's my way of thinking of escaping being in a cooped place all day in a classroom or taking care or helping my kids' at home after having a LONG DAY at work! Maybe I can stop thinking about all of the "stressful" lists I have in my manic mind such as having kids' making mess on a kitchen floor, dirty clothes, and many more you can image. The best part of walking and counting the steps I have done so far. As least, I can be proud to make it over 10,278 steps on first day, especially for who are like me, is really out of shapes! I must admit.. but it all comes back to me that this is a good way to start all over with my long overdue of
excerises!

2 comments:

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Oh Yes, and walking gives you more energy.
Slaughter those cafeteria workers, their burritos are not even good.

Deby said...

You go girl!! I just got myself a pedometer too (and I still have yet to set it or put it on) so you are way ahead of me.

I think it is awesome that you are competing against the cafeteria workers. Obviously they don't know you like I do or they would have just given up already. You are very stubborn when you set your mind to it and I am sure that you will slaughter them - and feel good while doing it!!

Love ya!