Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A New Chapter

For the past few months, I have had rocky experiences regarding my teaching job. The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program where I work will be closed at the end of the school year. It is due to downsizing deaf and hard of hearing students in our district. Isn't it pensive sadness ?

Well as of right now, the two programs are up in the air: two schools will combine into one program, and probably will become a magnet school under San Diego County Department of Education. This means there will be more deaf and hard of hearing students in one same school. Students will benefit by interacting and supporting each other inside and outside of classrooms, especially in education. However on the negative side will be the bus transportation for students. I honestly can remember riding on a school bus for an hour. Riding on a bus can be awful but chatting with the peers were AWESOME!

While there are lots of anticipating decisions for next year program for the deaf and hard of hearing program, there are thousands General and Special Education teachers all over California are fighting against another teachers in order to save their job position. Fighting against one of your co-workers can be bitter and miserable.

Frankly too often many teachers would go out and fight against their own co-workers or against the district without thinking unambiguously. I nearly did. But during my Spring Break, I had a chance to sit down and make more rational choices. It was a tough call. As a result, I made a clear message to call and request to drop my case against where I currently work for the district. This would save my bad reputation if I look like I was arrogant or intolerant. More importantly, I don't want to have this kind of pessimistic feelings for the rest of my life.

In order to halt my fighting, I have concluded to my final decision: drop the file cases. I will have to wait for the news about the new Deaf and Hard of Hearing program on May 1st. It all will depend on the seniority by hiring six out of ten teachers. I may be on the nose on getting a job, or out of a teaching job. Either way will be fine with me. Only God will guide me to where I am supposed to be for the next couple of months from now. The best thing I have made the decent decision was letting go against the district and let it guide me to where ever I go.

4 comments:

panyfamily said...

We are with you all the way, given God's will in guiding you to the place He will bestow upon you! Hang in there!

Furry Bottoms said...

sounds like you've made peace with the whole situation. Hang in there, whatever will happen was meant to happen.

Furry Bottoms said...

Youre a dear friend to me too, Laura! ♥

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how things go in circles. School districts were consolidating when you were young because the economy was in the tank. The good news about conslidated districts is that they often have more money for resources than the local home districts that have fewer kids. Let's just hope that you are one of the resources that they have money to hire. If not, it is their loss. I am sure you will survive and go on to something even better.

Mom/CC