Saturday, March 21, 2009

Classroom Philopshy

At one time or another, everybody has been in a class that seems tedious and boring. Student’s winds up concentrating on anything and everything except what they are supposed to be focusing on. In fact, students not being able to fully concentrate in classrooms happens so often that researchers have spent years trying to figure out what type of classroom would not only enhance students ability to learn, but also encourage students to learn. I believe that the temperature of the room, having tables instead of desks, and the overall decorations of a classroom play a big part in designing an ideal learning environment. But unfortunately in my case, deaf and hard of hearing
students rely heavily on visual props.

As I have mentioned it earlier that deaf and hard of hearing students rely on visual props, the overall decoration of a classroom is one of the best ways to encourage students to learn. Through experience I can personally say that after elementary school most classrooms have only a couple, if any, decorations on the walls. It’s true that having nothing on the walls won’t distract a student because there’s nothing for him or her to be distracted by. However, when students walk into a plain white room. Students often show no motivation in learning. Not only the plain wall, I strongly believe it is essential to set the corner activities away from the window.

That was the first thing I did when I moved the calendar corner to where the students would not be distracted whenever somebody walks by. It really worked having them involve in learning such as the seasons, numbers days of school, calendar patterns, and weather. After sitting down for a few minutes learning about the "today's" calendar, the students return to their desk: to work on their monthly report. The intention is to encourage them working independently even my four year old students.

Besides calendar, I work on their Science activities such as recognizing the Non-Living Things and Living Things. It will help them to know the difference when they come to reading or asking questions. This also included watching the white carnation flower change into green two days later. Seeing their jaw dropped was the best thing to watch them. Teaching and Learning about parts of flowers and plants can be taught at the same time. It saves my time. They enjoy learning new words whenever they see on their Science Wall. Soon, I will teach them non-living things.

This week, I will have a pine cone with peanut butter on the cone. Then put the bird seeds for the birds to eat. Teaching younger kids in Science is a lot fun because I am able to start their Science foundation before they go onto a higher level.

As for math, I again use more visual aids: word problems, math art and math graphs. My favorite part is doing the monthly math graphs. It made my students to work on his expressive skills when asking others. Truthfully, it really worked. After the graphs done, I often brag the work outside of my classroom. Many people often awed the work between my aide and I have created monthly.

While my students learning to express his thoughts, I usually a whole lots more with English prints and signing flashing cards in order to have them write sentences. First, I started out having them to write simple sentences with prompts. Now, I am shifting to have them try to write sentences WITHOUT prompts. One of them did at 60% accuracy without looking at the wall. It is also because the students had practice their weekly spelling words. ( I forced them or they would get an ice cream treat on Friday. Am I mean? But it motivated them.

Like I said they learn the best by through visual aids, I also believe it is because my "hopeless" students had made 180 degree turn within seven months. For those who worked with my students last year thought they would NEVER learn anything, they saw the positive changes in them. I fooled them-- just because I definitely knew from my experiences that using both bright colors on the wall and use lots of hand-on activities are the best tools.

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Excellent, Excellent! I always loved your idea for classroom walls and it keeps the kids interested! :)

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

You are my hero!!!!!!!!!!!