Tuesday, March 17, 2009

KickBall

This year, Dylan decided to participate the Kick-Ball after school activities for FREE. I thought this would be an ideal sport for him to get involved along with lots of physical activities.

For the first three weeks of games, Dylan had missed because the coach from Extended School Services did not tell me that he needs to have a copy of his health insurance. He apologized for the delay and had to keep him out of the three weeks game. I was not happy when I was not informed immediately.

When he finally got a chance to go out to a game, I met Dylan up at a different school site where his brother, Ryan and I could watch his game. Know what? I was disappointed to find him sitting on the bench. I just waited and waited. Finally, the coach acted it up and allowed him to play.

It was not easy for a left- handed person, who kick the ball with his right foot. When he did kick the ball, he ran yet unfortunately the other team touched him. Thus, he was out. Boy, he was upset. I consoled him that I praised him for doing his best.

On the next game, Ryan and I drove to another school site where we could watch him. This was the second time round I discovered that he was sitting the entire hour waiting for him to go up. I personally felt like that the coach should give each player a try. It reflected my teenager's memory when one of the softball coach almost never let me be out of the field. It was because I was not good at a softball. True, but where is the sportsmanship with the coach in these days?

Last, Dylan surrendered on getting involved in the Kickball after school activities. I don't blame him. Hopefully on the next after school sport coach will be more reasonable and allow each child, even poor player an opportunity. It is not about winning the game!

3 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

I am overjoyed that you are back to blogging!!! I have missed you!!! I am sorry about Dylan's experience with kick ball. Can't blame him... he did try. Have you thought about karate or Tae Kwon Do? My nephew has problems with "sports" but he LOVES Tae Kwon Do. Teaches him self discipline, self control, teaches him peace and respect for other people.

Deby said...

That coach is a dork. How does he expect kids to learn without playing?

One of these summers you can send Dylan up here for a month or so and I'll send him to a sport "camp" while he is here. He'll go back with all kinds of new confidence to play.

That coach has me mad now.

Laura and the family said...

I already wrote a letter to the leader about the problems I have seen for the last two games.