Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bulletin Boards: Habitats

Over the past two months, I have been working on six different part of Habitats around the world with the students from first through fourth grade. None of them had any science experience, but they all love what they had learned through by LOTS of visual aids, activities, and games on Smart Board.

I started out with the Desert. It helped them to understand of where that's close to our region.

I even included the desert plants without thorns. Many of them were awing on the plants because many of them never saw any different kinds of cactus.

After we finished our Rain forest, we invited one of the deaf guests to do the Story telling on: The Great Kapok book. (click the book) It was an excellent book for the students to understand how important to preserve the environment.

This is a close-up Pond picture. While I was teaching Pond, I even taught about their life cycle (click on Life Cycle ) on the Smart Board. While working on between Pond and Ocean, I had to explain the students between Fresh and Salt Water. I had two bowls of Fresh and Salt Water sitting outside in the sun for three days, so they could see the difference when the fresh water lose the water from the sun.

While I was working on Ocean, I had some Art Activities with the colorful sponge and writing about the animals.
After the Ocean, we started discussing about the Grassland. They were shocked that there were different types of Grassland, especially green and yellow grass after I read and show a book about the life in Grassland. The next day, one of my students brought over the dry grassland.


The last part of the region is teaching Tundra. I had to explain the different animals living in Arctic and Antarctica . I even gave each student a cup of ice cube and water to see how the ice stay or float up. It gave them a better picture about the glaciers. The best part is that they never knew these two places: Arctic and Antarctica have Spring and Summer. They kept saying, "What!" Now, they know there are small areas that grow flowers and green grass during these two seasons.

Overall of my Habitat lesson plans, I felt really good that each level had learned. They all loved the lessons. This will give them a life time educational experience.

No comments: