Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dylan's academics

Just this past week, I attended several parents conference, including me giving out to other parents. This kept me going all in this week which explained why I didn't literally have the time to keep my blog up.

First, I started out going to Dylan's 2nd-3rd class (He is only in second grade.) The teacher covered Reading, Writing, Math and Social Studies. She started out in Reading. It showed that Dylan's decoding in reading is at 6th while his reading comprehension is at 4th. That explains he was able to comprehend the story from Beverly Clearly. Frankly, the scary part about the comment from the teacher was that "he is probably is the smartest student in this school."

This also includes in his writing. He excels in his writing with great voice and description. For instance, he wrote an essay about the Fall: Oh La La, I Love Fall ! The first thing I love about fall is Halloween. I love many things about Halloween, but I'll just tell you some of them. One thing I like about it is the candy. They're sweet and sticky. My favorite candy is chocolate! I like chocolate because it is crunchy and a little creamy. Mmmm! Chocolate is so good, it feels smooth but, a little rough and it taste so good that I want to be on Planet Chocolate"(Actually, he wrote two full pages, but I only copied the first paragraph of his essay.) Ms. Carrera admitted that his writing is above the 2nd grade because many of them could not give details in writing. I strongly believe reading tons of books certainly help him greatly.

As for Dylan's math, he is learning both second and third grade math. On his second grade first trimester test, he would have gotten 100% accuracy if he didn't erase the original two answers. We think he overlooked the other student, who sat next to him, decided to erase the answers.

He did okay on his Elective classes for Social Science and Science. During the first trimester, he was learning about the Election (perfect timing for him to learn basic about the election.) He had the opportunity to pretend that he voted for a President. Of course, he expressed that he wanted to be the President of the United States due to making lots of money. Frankly, I was like that when I was in fourth grade. This would be interesting to have a President of the United States who is Children of Deaf Adults (CODA.) However, he did not do well on the test. The teacher asked me what was happening. I explained to her that Dylan told me, "I don't have to study because it is for the third graders only." She now saw the problem that needed to be clarify in the class. But at least, he passed with 75% on his Election Test.

Since his academic is WAY above for his age, he still needs to work on his whining behavior. David and I finally started out putting star charts. He earns a star for a day without whining! Every five stars, he can go to my classroom for fifteen minutes after school. He loves my classroom because I have TONS of toys. For twenty stars, he will need to earn to go to Boomers. He was not happy that it probably will take him a month to complete the 20 stars. But at least, we have to do something for better. Soon, we will be seeing him decreasing his complaining little things.

No comments: