Sunday, November 30, 2008

Homework

How many of you like to do homework? I don't, but I do enjoy learning some thing new that does not require to do homework. As I got older, I feel that doing homework is an awesome idea especially when you are away from school. Too many kids without homework tend to watch T.V. or doing computer without having an on-going practice.

Both of my sons do have homework over all of their breaks even over a five day of Thanksgiving Break. This time, Dylan is required to read over 80 minutes. It is too easy for him, but I made a deal for him to do a favor for me. He reads "Magic Tree House" Book 3 on each chapter per night to Ryan. We both ask him some of the comprehension questions. It keeps his comprehension up.

As for the fine motor skills, Ryan has been improving ever since he was in Kindergarten. He started out from nothing to writing simple sentences. He is learning to write the letters on the lines, especially e, g, and n. I can see that he does make a progress for the letters of e and n. The next two things will be, "g" and writing three sentences before he takes Direct Writing Test in the Spring. Boy, do I sound like I have a high expectation for my kids?

While he does his homework over the Break, I normally have him finish one full page per night instead of all five pages. It is not an easy task for him. Also, the best part is that I don't see any temper tantrum when it comes doing homework. He is more than willing to do his homework independently when I am around; otherwise, he would space himself out.

Literally speaking of doing homework, I'd better catch up writing Christmas Newsletters, belated Thanksgiving posts, leaving comments on my family and friend's blog, printing the pictures, and doing little bit left over Christmas shopping. I'd better get things done; otherwise, I would not get good grades.

3 comments:

Deby said...

Katya is upstairs right now trying to finish a book and write a report on it for school tomorrow. I'm doing some paid work - my own personal homework - that has to be done by tomorrow.

I guess we're cramming!

Cheryl said...

Man, you run a tight ship! Those boys are going to get into Harvard. :-)

C and B Scene said...

While you are busy catching up on your pre Christmas chores, wuould you mind putting a a new Xmas Wish list for the boys. We'd like to get them something they want or need. Mom/CC