Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween Part I

Have you noticed how costumes and masks are getting generally more bloody, gory, and depraved each year? Unfortunately, the gruesome and grotesque and the occult are increasingly glorified in American society, not only on Halloween, but throughout the year in horror movies and in television programs. But not at the church that we were being invited. They banned to have anything dress up: bloody or weapons.

As soon as we arrived, we were awed many of young children to adults dressed up VERY CREATIVE! It started out with the hand made outfit: Rubik's Cube to Sarah Palin with a fake baby on her chest.) The only thing I was really surprised to see one pregnant woman dressing up as a nun. I was not sure if she was actually pregnant because I didn't have the gut to ask this sticky, lame, personal question. But both Ryan as Superman and Dylan as Skeleton without mask did dress up while we didn't. For this reason for not dressing up, I wanted to wait and steal some of the idea for my work.

While we were there, we played cake music game. Dylan won a mini cupcake and two cookies. He thought of us, except I didn't want any dessert. Wasn't that sweet of him ? They gulped over the desert after we all had a delicious simple dinner: hot dog, chips and few simple vegetables.

Shortly after we had a dinner, there was an announcement telling us there will be Costume Contests. I could not believe seeing Ryan interpreting for me, "Mom, there will be a Halloween contest in ten minutes. " Five minutes later, he heard a same announcement telling us "the contest starts in five minutes." I was amazed to see my young child interpret the announcement without asking him to do it for us!

Dylan pleaded us to go into Haunted House. I admitted that I was astounded to see that he REALLY wanted to go inside because he normally does not like anything that is scary. We went right in while Ryan and his dad were still busy eating( later they went in together.) This time he only dare to go into a scary Haunted House, except it was less scary than at Knott's Berry Farm nor at Del Mar Fair. While we were in the dark place, Dylan jumped out and screamed several times. I could feel him gripping my arms tightly. Shortly after we got out of the haunted house, he made a determination that he would "NEVER" go inside of the haunted house for the rest of his life! Wonder if it will change his mind when he becomes a teenager?

Shortly before the Halloween activities, all of the kids were outside to get their treats. Have you heard or thought of any vans creating their mini Halloween at the parking lots? I didn't. Actually, it was a splendid idea to have kids go out and get their treats in front of the church member's vans. It was also safe for the kids not to worry about walking across the street.

Now, I perfectly understand it was a rad idea to take the kids out to the church for the Halloween activities instead of watching my kids closely around the neighbors. Seriously, I am thinking about taking my kids go out for their Halloween treats annually at the church.

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Treat or Tricking at the church parking lot is a good idea in many ways. My sister has been taking her kids to their church parking lot for treats like that. They really enjoy it a lot. So, what did YOU dress up as when you went to work? :)

Deby said...

It sounds like it was a lot of fun!