Thursday, November 20, 2008

Happy Birthday , Mom!

Today is my biological mom's birthday! She has given me so many gifts since she brought me into this world. When she found out that I was legally deaf at six months, she went to the library to find out on how to make me successful in life. She did!

While she was raising me, she had a hard time making a decision whether to put me in an oral or sign language program. (There was no Total Communication: both in signing and speaking during 1960's. It is not occur until 1970's.) Thus, she decided to put me in oral program. As I was looking back, I could not make any obligation because in her heart, she knew it was essential for me to communicate in hearing world. Working on my speech and lip reading is not an easy skill to learn. I am one of the extremely lucky that I can lip read and speak well enough to communicate with most of hearing people. So watch out ! Still, my mother deserves a reward because she worked on my speech EVERY SINGLE DAY for the first thirteen years of my life! Boy, I did give her a hard time when I was frustrated to say the word correctly. (Now, I am doing the same with my younger son.) That's something I have to be grateful for her patience.

Another thing, she dedicated her time to help me with my homework throughout my college years. That is another thing she deserves to get an attention because I now am a special education teacher for the deaf because of her help.

There are many more things I could list to thank her for putting it up a lot with me. I deeply wanted to say "Happy Birthday to my Wonderful Mother. " I Love you, Mom!

No comments: