Wednesday, October 10, 2007

SCARED TO DEATH


It has nothing to do with saying "Boo" for a pre-Halloween. Can you image getting a phone call/pager from school saying that your child has a high fever 103.5 and lethargic? It happened to my younger child, Ryan. Without thinking clearly, I was panicked and rushed it over with my worst mismatched outfit and painting all over my arms and legs.

While I was on the road, I evoked negatively, teared rolling down my cheeks, and prayed that nothing was too serious. I could NOT image what is like to be without him, so I kept praying all the way to the school and to the hospital.

By the time I arrived, I found my younger son lying down helpless while my other son was active at that time. I had to split my personalities with my innocent older son ,who was trying to share the funny jokes while my other son was helpless in a mini van on our way to the nearby Emergency Room.

In the Emergency Room, Ryan had a very little responsive. That was unlike him because he normally chatted a lot, even though he is autistic. While he was in an observation room, he only responded to the doctor on how he was feeling. His comments were, "different," and "fussy in my head." When I read the comments the nurse wrote it on a computer, it petrified me. Then he went back to sleep. I didn't like seeing his unusual behavior.

He was there for four hours while I was being shivered due to wearing shorts, sleeveless, and sandals without having a jacket with me. I didn't care if I was cold or hungry, the only thing I cared was my cherish son, Ryan.

As a result, it was due to having an Otitis Media Ear Infection on his left ear. He still is not out of woods though he is on an antibiotic. Since he is not out of woods, I know I will be waking up a couple of times during the night because I wanted to make sure he is not over 104 nor being unresponsive. Keep your fingers crossed for me for the night!

Boy with all of these feelings I have had, it was a REAL SCARED to DEATH. Let's hope it will not repeat the pattern.

4 comments:

Deby said...

Don't freak out too much. Katya ran really high fevers several times (104) because of different infections. I think we just run hot.

Please kiss him for me and tell him that we all hope he feels better soon. Keep those cool washcloths nearby to help keep him cool.

Anonymous said...

We understand where you are coming from with Ryan's recent medical issue! I ditto Deby's advice because we used to see Davon go through the similar situation like Ryan a few times -- he had ear infection twice and another time with the viral infection when we took him to ER. Give Ryan lots of fluids and cool washcloths to alleviate the temperature!

Hang in there and pray together with David...be the rock for Ryan!

Mandee said...

Nothing is worse than having a sick child. It makes me cry, too! I hope he is feeling better now!

Anonymous said...

It is very scary when your child is sick and you don't know why. I hope the antibiotics takes care of it. CEC