Friday, November 16, 2007

Academic Award

Today, I attended Assembly Award at Ryan's school. While Ryan was waiting patiently to get his award, he beamed his smile when he saw me sitting near by him. He kept asking me to sit next to him. Unfortunately, I couldn't because the parents were supposed to sit at another place.

The other students had received "Friendship" award before the students got their Academic Award. Then, he was placed up in a front of the seats where the other students got their Academic Award only. He was really patient except seeing the Helium Blue Star balloon slipped off from someone's hand. Finally, his name was being called by his principal, Dr. Parson. He went up to get his new pencil and Academic Award certificate.

For those students received Academic Award, each teacher explained briefly about the student. His Special Education teacher, Mrs. Jacobson mentioned in a front of the audience, " I have chosen Ryan for the Academic Award. He has been working so hard to improve his reading and knows all kindergarten sight words! He is beginning to understand addition and subtraction and can count to 101 ! He is learning more and more each day! Ryan is an amazing thinker !"

Boy, he was so proud to show it off in a front of the camera ! (That's rare of him for willing to take pictures of him.)

Truthfully, I would agree with his special education teacher about watching him learning more and more new things daily. One thing I have to tell you is that it is the best thing I have ever done placing him in my work/school district instead of our home school district ! Apparently, he has passed all of his I.E.P goals: addition and subtraction, cutting and writing the letters. (Click the pictures to make it large)

Writing words on his own
but with help in spellings


Writing Numbers on his own

Before I sent him to this school, he refused to practicing writing on a paper or even cutting the paper. Now, he loves it even in his mainstream Language Arts class with an aide. I met his General Education teacher for Language Arts briefly at the assembly. She just briefly stated that he is doing awesome, even only started this class a week ago. Let's wait and see how he goes by the end of the school year.

As of right now, I could tell you how proud of Ryan in his overall performance in academics!

4 comments:

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Ryan and I read this blog together, he is so proud to see this on the computer. What a little smartie!!!!!!!!!!

Deby said...

I'm so happy to see him proud of his accomplishments!! Bravo for him!

Mandee said...

I am so proud of you Ryan! Great job! Congratulations on your award!

Anonymous said...

**Hands waving, hands waving** Ryan, a fabulous job! Congratulations!