Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween Tricks and Treats

Weeks before Halloween came, I questioned my sons what they wanted to be for Halloween.

Do you want to be Blues Brothers? NO!

Do you want to be Siamese Twins? NO !

Do you want to be Super Heroes? NO !

I gave it up by suggesting my ideas for Dylan and Ryan. So, I asked them directly, "What do you WANT to be for Halloween? " The answer from the boys never crossed my mind.

"A GHOST !" declared by Dylan. Ryan followed the same comment, "Yeah, a ghost !"

That was so easy and cheap, right? It only cost us five dollar bucks for the white sheet. Then, I thought it would be awesome to have unique color ghosts. Dylan made a "hesitate" comment that "It would be a fake ghost ! The real ghost is WHITE !" Ryan overheard his comment and followed his determining decision.

Well, on Halloween night, we were anxious to put the really simple Halloween costume on them, so did the boys. However, by the time we put it on them, it only lasted for five minutes!

Dylan sobbed, "This is the WORST, WORST, Halloween costume I EVER HAD!" Then he rushed to the bedroom,shut the door, and pouted. Ryan decided not to wear a ghost costume either.

What shall I do at the very last minute costume?? My frustrated INCREASED, but I had to calm myself down before I talked with Dylan who was lying on a bed, pouting ! In a very short time of amount of creating a last minute costume, I gave Dylan a choice: either stay home helping his dad passing the candies out or come up with the Halloween costume.

As a team, we worked together. Ryan was pretty easy because I found Dylan's last year costume: Car Racer. He accepted this outfit this time without a struggle. Whew !

Wonder what about Dylan??? Well, he was yet stubborned. After a couple of minutes deciding what to wear for Halloween, he ended up being an Outback Camper ! Finally, no more frustrating, whining and fighting ! He was satisfied with his last minute outfit ! He told me that he preferred to have a different costume, and NEVER wanted to be a Ghost again ! Sigh !














Before we left for Trick or Treat, they both had their best smiles on their last minute Halloween costumes!

After an hour of going out for a trick or treat, we returned home finding David watching a portable DVD movie while passing the candies out! Ryan decided to help his dad out to the remainder children coming by our home. Dylan followed Ryan's positive footstep.

Just before their bedtime, they pleaded me to have more candies! Who would want to put it up with their high energy level? Not me or even David ! We both were too exhausted to have any more left-over energy with them. So, they were told to wait for only one candy for their next day's lunch!

No more hearing any whining or groaning for the rest of the night!

But let's hope next Halloween would be a lot easier, yet expect to spend more extra money! You'd better prepare for me to be really poor for the next Christmas gifts or donate us the money for the boys' Halloween costumes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sighh....kids are bound to be kids for a bit and change their minds easily! Trends, sighh!!!

Hang in there for a bit -- we are in the very same boat!

Anonymous said...

Next year you should dress Dylan as a brat like "Dennis the Menace" or a South Park character.

Laura and the family said...

I had forgotten all about "Dennis the Menace" It suits him well: his nasty attitude and has his hair sticking it out

Deby said...

No worries. You can look forward to last minute changes for lunch, clothes, hair, costumes, homework and friends for the next umpteen years.

Katya still changes her mind constantly about EVERYTHING.

It is part of the charm and fun of having a kid. Just remember to keep your sense of humor when you are at the end of your rope.

Love ya!