Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Helping Hands

I strongly believe with or without disability should learn at least something do at a young age. I did learn to do the work at a very young age.

1. Cleaning and doing the yard work such as learning mow the lawn and trimmed the ivy (thanks goodness there was no garden snake), I had learned to save the money for the trip to Colorado River.

2. Washing our van and truck.

3. Cleaning all of doll hair that I left in the bathroom (age 6)

4) Cleaning the toilet paper up that I left it all over the bathroom (age 2)

Once I became a mom of two kids, I vowed myself that my children would learn to be responsible at young age. Frankly, I know they can be stubborned when they don't listen to my instruction even if it means they don't get allowance for the PEZ or Thomas collections. I guess I have to stay on the top of them !

Dylan has learned to clean up the mess from the table, floor and dressing himself. He especially often complained that he had to dry himself after taking a bath or a shower. The only he does not mind to help if he earns a small amount of allowance for his PEZ Collection.

One night, he had a high energy to help me out by preparing for dinner. Who knows he will be the next prominent chef? I personally think he got a hereditary from his dad, who loves to cook.

On the same day, Ryan saw me starting to wash both of our cars before we returned from a 3 day weekend. He wanted to learn to wash the Jeep. He really enjoyed washing especially having the water sprinkled all over his head. Seeing him giggling and continuing to help me for the afternoon had brighten my day.


I was impressed that he learned quickly to wash the car carefully ! Knowing that he loves to clean anything that has liquid, but soon enough I will need to be tougher when he needs to clean his toys up ! He loathes do whatever he was told.

In a long run, I hope teaching them at a young age will pay it off; even though, if they don't like being told. I currently am hoping to find a way to have them do it without earning any money even one cent ! If you have any better idea on how I can convince my sons to accept the responsibility, please advice me.

2 comments:

Deby said...

My mom never paid us for any chores. She said that it was our responsibility for living in the house to share in the workload.

I take a somewhat different view. We have two lists in the house. One is Katya's weekly chore list, one is a list of chores that Katya can be paid for. The weekly chore list is her contribution to living in the house. If she is feeling like she wants some money (some weeks it is more than others) she does chores off of the paid chore list.

Examples of of the weekly list are: clean her room, clean her bathroom, vacuum the rugs,one hour of yardwork, dusting ...etc.

Examples of paid chores are: washing the dogs, washing the car, extra time doing yardwork, cleaning the garage,... things that are nice for me but I can live without.

Bravo for starting young. I believe it helps them to appreciate the work that you do to make the house run. And besides, everyone needs to learn to cook and clean for themselves.

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Although I never paid David and Deby for household chores I believe that whenever a child has chores they feel like an important part of the whole, kinda like a valuable team member.
Bravo!!!!!!!!