Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Peace Builder Pledging

Last Monday, I received a letter from Ryan's school stating that he would be leading the "Peace builder Pledge" in a front of the school on Wednesday. So, we had practiced for the last two days before the speech. He practiced at home, speech and in his mainstream classes. Everything was all set to go!

Boy, my mind was racing with excitement for Ryan. Can you image how far he has come within one year? You bet, I was so proud of him for memorizing the "Peace Builder Pledge" without looking at the paper perfectly.

I am a Peace Builder.
I pledge to praise people,
To give up put downs
To seek wise people
To notice and speak up about
hurts I have caused.
To right wrongs.
To help others.

I will build peace at home, at school,
and in my community each day.

On the very day he was about to give the pledge in a front of 800 students, I had my camera ready to show it off. In the office, just shortly before he was to go out in front of his audience tears began to roll down his face. His mainstream teacher, Ms. Harting and I thought that if one of us stood next to him it would help with his confidence to speak. He only stood up until it was his turn to lead. He spoke softy into the microphone, "No, I don't want do this"to the principal. Dr. Parson was kindly handed the microphone to the boy who was standing next to me. Still, he was confident to tell the principal on how he had felt.

I felt like we put so much work into today for him to back down was a disappointment, but at least, he stood it up in a front of 800 students. Perhaps in the future, his self-confidence will change for better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Ryan did was a positive thing to do in spite of backing down from giving the pledge...he was even confident to share his feelings with the principal, knowing that he was overwhelmed with such a lot of people in the attendance. You know, I am extremely proud of Ryan and his standing up for his feelings!

Laura and the family said...

Later, the speech therapist told me that making him standing up and waiting too long may caused him overwhelmed. That's one of the theories and she would like him to try this again. She would want the principal to call his name, then have him to stand up and speak the pledge right away. He did that when he received the "Most Outstanding" award last November.

Deby said...

That is a lot of pressure for many adults, much less a child. Don't be disappointed with him. The fact that he didn't just turn around and run off says that he has really gained a lot more self confidence. I'm proud of him!

C and B Scene said...

I know I know. Dylan does loves being the center of attention, so it is natural to expect Ryan to do the same. Right?

Wrong! I agree with all of the others....if anyone's behavior is "different" when it comes to liking attention it is Dylan. The majority of people have a strong fear of public speaking and/or of being the center of attention. Standing around waiting would be way too much pressure for most 16, 26, 36, 46 year olds ... most adults of that age would wet their pants if put in that situation.

Be glad Ryan had the self confidence, language skills, and composure to express his needs and feelings. That is greater growth in one years than chanting a memorized public speach ever could be.

Mom/CC

PS I took years and years of public speaking classes before I could stand up and speak in public. Today I can do it and sound fine, but I still do not like doing it.