Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dealing With Rebellious, Challenging Children

As my children are getting older, they are able to communicate with me a lot more. However, there were times they rebelled whenever David and I ordered them to do the simple chores or eating healthy nutrition.

Right now, I am dealing a lot to keep their disciplines up:

1) Requires them to eat two of Omega-3 Vitamins before getting out of their table. Otherwise, they will have to stay at the table for an entire time until they finish swallow the vitamins..

It happened to Dylan, who refused to use Omega-3 Vitamins. His brother was the opposite. Thus, my sister in law and I made him to sit at the table. We have watched him making ugly face, begging, tearing his eyes. But he eventually swallowed two Vitamins an hour later. Was I being mean?

Just this evening, my husband and I encouraged Ryan to drink a whole cup of milk during his meal. His tenancy to drink at least one fourth of cup. We told him that using a cup of milk will increase his calcium.

Know what he said to us? He said, "You don't talk to me. You both are being rude." Right after his comment, I had a snap and told him immediately, " I am going upstairs to turn your computer off until you finish the whole milk!" Boy, he was MAD at me. But my punishment worked because he then drank the entire milk.

2) Requires to do simple chores: taking light trashes out, making their own bed, putting their toys away. Once in a while, I encourage them to shredded the OLD and important papers. If they don't help me, then their privilege will be taken away: TV or computer. Or I would dare to throw their favorite toy to Goodwill ! (that was my sister in law's advice, thanks!)

Just this afternoon, Dylan and Ryan helped me to shredded the papers with my supervision. They nearly gave up. I told them. " You will not be able to keep the Hot Wheels you have it in the boxes if you don't help me." It scared the heck out of them!

Their behavior had changed a lot better after I had shared my frustration with my sister in law. I even asked her to talk to them out because I know too often children listened to other adults better than their own parents. I thanked to my sister in law, Deby who took her time to yalk them out last week.

There were times of this evening, I simply asked them to put the dishwasher towels, plastic bags and few other small things away for me. They made NO obligation. Let's hope their behavior continue this way.

If you have any valuable lesson you have learned from your parents, please give me an example and I might use it for my kids if their misconduction appear again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww-- from the words here that definitely shows you and david are good parents to the boys even the discplines are way fair and youre not a meanie!! :)))sometimes i wish my parents are into discpline more... o well.. but ill be like you if i have children :)) xo

Mandee said...

okay, so I was thinking about this post as I was rewarding Max and Charlie's good behavior today and I thought I would pass along to you what we do at our house.

We use tokens as rewards for good behavior, completing chores, and using good manners.

The "tokens" I use are glass stones that you put at the bottom of a fish tank. And I bought a "smallish" jar for the both of them and wrote their names on them. I got the stones and the jars at Walmart (even though I hate Walmart).

Anyway, they can exchange tokens for certain "prizes". 5 tokens= a toy from the dollar store or a matchbox car. If they fill the entire jar, then they can go on a date with me or Aaron. The last time we took them to see a movie.

It has helped so much to reinforce good behavior instead of punishing the bad. Although, we still punish bad behavior.

Good luck!