Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Husband is a Chef

How did you feel when you first hear that my husband is a chef? You probably would inevitably ask me, "Does he do all the cooking at home?" I'm pretty sure that you automatically think that we eat seven course meals on expensive dishes such as china every single night. This is not definitely true; otherwise, my arms and hands would be sore from doing tons of dishes daily. Thanks goodness!

When David and I started dating over eleven years ago, I assumed he did not have any cooking skills because he had a mighty kitchen (approximately 10 X4) I personally thought he was like many other single men who often bought many T.V. dinners. Also, he often took me out to a variety of restaurants. So one day, he decided to prove me wrong that he was not like most of single men I knew about their cooking meals. He cooked one of the most delicious breakfast I have ever tasted.

By the time we were engaged, he would definitely tell me which brands were the best for the kitchen while we were registering at Bed, Bath and Beyond. It just blew my mind on how much he knew most about the kitchen appliances such as the most expensive pans: CLAD. 300 dollars worth of the set of pans! Holy Craps! But I could not argue with him because he knew so much about metals-- that is his working field. Interesting enough, lots of guests bought us so many appliances that would not even fit in our tiny condo until we moved to a house. They probably assumed that I was an excellent cooker- Pfff, I'm not.

Over time,I appreciate seeing my husband being happy cooking out with his new toy: Stainless Viking BBQ. Of course, buying a stainless BBQ had strained our money. Isn't typical for being so-called chef looking for expensive appliances? Or is it just men like my husband? But again, who could argue with him for making me and my boys the delicious meals?

This past week, he cooked us: Salmon, Steak and Lemon Garlic Chicken. From the bottom of my heart, I would tell you that his cooking is far much better than most restaurants I ever tasted. For example, I am not fond of red meat but with his cooking in steak. Whoa, he sure has saved us a lot of money for per steak instead of going out to Outback Steak house. He admitted that he preferred his own steak than Outback. He usually put Montreal Steak Seasoning on the top of the steak. The herbs can be found at Costco. Dylan, my older son wanted to taste the steak for the first time. He said to us, "That is the most delicious steak I have ever tried it!" Of course, we had several A-1 Flavor. I would not eat the steak A-1 alone. My recommendation is to use the Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Just this evening, he used BBQ Lemon Garlic Chicken after he had marinaded for 24 hours. Believe it or not, both of my sons shoved the entire chicken in their tiny mouth. There will be more different kinds of chickens in the future because my husband bought several Lawry's at the grocery store. After we were stuffed from our dinner, he announced that he wanted to make Baby Ribs tomorrow.

Truthfully, it does not happen often that he would BBQ almost all in this week. I know this would not happen often when I go back to teaching in three weeks. We do take turns in cooking. When I do the cooking, he sometimes would say, " "Honey, this is pretty good. I think next time you should try putting some extra sauce in at the end, it would really add more flavor." Yet, I know he was trying to have me improve my cooking skills.

Whenever you come over to our home, please be sure to tell us what kind of meats or vegetables you would like to have for a meal. Having a chef husband would be gladly to offer you the delicious meal that you ever try it in your entire life. At the end, he continued to amaze me about his cooking skills.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow love your stainless steel grill! my hubby wants to own one when we buy a house here.. right now we own a regular black grill LOL! the meats looks yummy!!! we have been barbecue-ing here almost everyday and dine in our balcony with our hawaii umbrella and tiki torches! by the way, your hubbys cute! hee hee xoxo

p.s. my hubby is good in italian cookings so i dont complain hahah

Furry Bottoms said...

How wonderful!!! I hope I find a husband that likes to cook too! :)

Deby said...

I am bummed I missed David's BBQing talents while I was there. I guess I will have to force him to get out there and cook when I visit again.

:)