Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Color Blind

At the end of my working hour, I checked my work e-mail for the last time before I picked the boys up from Extended Student Services. I just learned that my younger son, Ryan had a color vision test. It turned out he is a color blind for red/green.

But then, I realized I'm a carrier because my father is also a color blind for red/green. At that time, I did not know my father is a color blind until I was a teenager. I recall wearing a red background with many green leaves and tiny white flowers dress. He told me, "It is a beautiful BROWN dress. " At first, I thought he was joking. As soon as he told me that he could not see the difference between red/green.

Having another genetic traits did not occur to me until this late afternoon. When I talked with Ryan's first grade General Education Teacher, she said she remembers he colored Poinsettia brown instead of red and green. She also mentioned some of the other 1st grade students colored blue and yellow Poinsettia. It leaves me wondering, so I doubled check myself and to see if he is really color blind. I have a Christmas Stationary from 2003. On the Stationary, it also has red and green Poinsettia. He answered my questions perfectly. So, I am confused whether he is really color blind.

Thus, I will keep double check more. If he still turns out that he does have color blind, I can trained him to memorize the traffic lights and the Christmas decorations. The only problem I could not train to disguised the difference between red and green or even the map unless I labeled the colors of apples and map. There are several excellent examples of websites about colorblind, but I'd like this one.

1 comment:

Furry Bottoms said...

It is good that they caught this early in Ryan's life. You said that he answered perfectly what the colors on the stationary was. I wonder if maybe he memorized it alreadyby listening to people, so he knew how to answer you perfectly. Try something entirely new something he might not have seen before and ask him to tell you what colors they are. Just a suggestion! :)