Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gingerbread

All in this week, I have been working and teaching about Gingerbread Theme with my students. Even with the younger students and extra disability, they began to identify the name of the characters in the story. I felt so GOOD about this.

First, I talked about the story of The Gingerbread Man with them. I especially love seeing their facial expression when they found out about a fox ended up eating a Gingerbread Man. Before they knew the answer, I kept asking them what did they think it might happened. Using their predict was not an easy task for them.

Second, I asked them to give me the sequence story when it comes to Gingerbread Man. We did a lots of physical activities in class because it helped them to comprehend a lot faster than just showing pictures from the book alone. Of course, it wiped my "Middle Age" body out from chasing around the classroom . The two best part was burning my calories and seeing them understand the sequence story.

Third, they had learned the part of the body from the Gingerbread Man. Just image which part of a fox would eat first: head, stomach, arm, or feet. I had my aide to create Math graph of Gingerbread's body. Then, I had my little students going out to our Deaf and Hard of Hearing students and teacher and the office staff. One of the students had a difficult time expressing even in signing. Over a couple of practices before asking the students and staff, this deaf student finally learned to say appropriately, " I want you to bite the Gingerbread Man, please." This was not an easy task for this student because of having extra disability. We got many positive responses from the staff that they LOVED our idea. After this students went through by observing each person biting the Gingerbread Man, they had to put the Gingerbread sticker on part of the body that this person bit. The older student learned to count in tallies while the younger student learned to count in numbers with hands.

Last, they ended up making Gingerbread Man for their snack. Not only making eating a Gingerbread Man, my older deaf student joined the fun activity in Ryan's class by making "Gingerbread House." He and Ryan loved creating their own Gingerbread House.

At the end of the week, I felt that both of my students had learned a lot more than just from the books, and did LOTS of hand-0n activities. They enjoyed eating and making both Gingerbread Man Cookie, and a Gingerbread house.

No comments: