Monday, December 22, 2008

On the road to Oregon

At dawn, we all woke up and got ready to go on a road to Oregon from our home. It was not an easy task for us as parents because we had very little sleep by putting all of our "JUNK" stuff in our van. But we managed to stay wide awake while we were on the road. The boys were good sports, too.

We started out of having junk breakfast-- donuts ! I know it is not a wise breakfast, but who would argue with me that it was far much better than cooking the healthy breakfast, washing the dishes and delaying our times??? However, we did have a healthy lunch and dinner when we had to stop for our meal. Eating our junk meal for a start was our choice while I started the gears at dawn. I managed to stay awake until I hit the Frazier Park, not far from Bakersfield because it had snowed. The snow itself reminded me like a brown and white zebra. Thought it was an interesting view.

Then when we had to stop and to fill the other half of a gas (we kept gas full all the way, and stop for a gas if the gas is half,) David started the other half of the driving until we had reached to Woodland, the North of Sacramento for the night.

The next morning, we woke up at dawn from Woodland to Bend, Oregon where we met our family. We only stopped at least three times: for gas, eat our meal and of course, restroom.
Shortly before we entered the state of Oregon, we saw several actions: the sign warned about Icy Road, reckless driver and snow plow. It was good experiences for the boys to see all of these actions and understood why it was so important for us to slow down.

As soon we saw the signs that says, "Oregon Welcomes You" , we made a quick stop due to little amount of time before the dark arrived. The moment I stepped out of the van, the snow went up to my knee. Whoa! I managed to take a picture of the signs for my Scrapbook trip to Oregon and Washington. A couple of hours after we passed the borderline, we stopped by at Subway's for lunch. The boys were being silly by wanting to go out while snowing outside of Subway's. They loved it!

Shortly before four P.M, I must say that our GPS was our lifesaver by telling us how to get to my husband's sister's house. Of course, David was wise enough to print the directions in case of the GPS breaks down. That was something I didn't think about this emergency situation.

Finally, we got down to her cozy home. The boys and their cousins were greeted each others. I must say my niece and nephew did not have much of clothes while we were acting like we overloaded our clothes. They played for a little while before they volunteered to shove the driveway out in a front of Deby's house. That was a good exercise for them to use before hitting the sack.

As for me, it was the first time in a VERY LONG time, I have had a chance to relax and watched a short movie before we all went to bed. It was very nice to sleep in a "dungeon" basement for the night. (Actually, Dylan said loudly, "Oh my goodness, do we have to sleep in a dungeon room?)

5 comments:

C and B Scene said...

Thanks for posting this to your blog. We had read about the storm in the NE and have been worrying about whether you made it safely.

This will be a great experience for the boys. They will get to find out what it is like to live in a part of the country that has snow.

Be safe and stay warm. Love
Mom/CC

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Thank You for sharing with me. I am missing you all.
Love You...

Mandee said...

I am jealous you are all together and it sounds like you're having a great time! Have a Merry Christmas together! And enjoy the snow!

Heather said...

I hope you guys all have a great Christmas! We'll miss spending some time with you this year. Give everyone hugs for us! P.S. Our Christmas card will come as a Happy New Year card this year....after the new baby arrives.

Anonymous said...

We got the white snow last year in Minnesota so you got your turn getting one in Oregon! Enjoy the snow when it lasts!!!