Saturday, June 23, 2007

180 Days

Friday, June 22nd was the last day of Kindergarten, the closing of one door and the opening of another. It is hard for me to believe that this school year has come to the end! Over the past 180 school days, Dylan has grown both socially and academically. He has gone from knowing a few letters and sounds to reading words, sentences and even books! He has also learned the social skills of sharing, caring and being responsible. Most of all I hope Dylan has learned to love school and learning and will look forward to next year with same enthusiasm I have seen this year !

Before Dylan's last day of school, he invited me to his Kindergarten Breakfast. Oh how sweet of him! While I was there, he and his classmates sang few songs: Each of Us is A Flower, Love Me For Who I Am, Silent E, Four Hugs a Day, and I Think You're Wonderful. Almost throughout the songs, I was surprised to see almost all of his classmates had learned few of the song signs. It was due that he had taught them during their practices. Isn't he a good teacher, huh? But at the end of the song, " I Think You're Wonderful," it actually brought me tears. (Of course, I had a sign language interpreter standing behind Dylan.)

At the breakfast, there was sliding shows and awards. Dylan received an Outstanding Reader award and Reading Incentive Award. He has never missed any Reading Log for the last 180 days of school. While standing next to his teacher, Ms. Goldman was telling the other students and parents, who were at the breakfast, that Dylan was always "correcting her if she signed wrong, or skipped the words from reading a book. He knew if she followed it through the Storytelling." (Ms. Goldman has experienced working with deaf students in the past, thus she knew few signs.) After the breakfast was over, she mentioned to me that she has learned a lot of more new signs through by Dylan.

He also received awards for Outstanding Reader, Reading Incentive Award and Principal's Honor Roll. What an honor ! He also got a free Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt. Yummy! But can you image the teacher told the parents and students that she is looking forward to seeing the name of our child on the roster for the high school graduating class of 2019? It gave me a heart attack to think far ahead of having him leaving the nest.

1 comment:

Deby said...

Man! I still remember quite vididly the night that he was born. Time just flies by!! I am so proud of him for doing so well in school and teaching the other kids some signs. He is an amazing kid.