Friday, July 27, 2007

Reluctant Learner

For the summer, I had a destination in teaching my younger son, Ryan, a five year old, several varieties of fun, educational lessons. Sometimes, I did succeed in teaching him such as writing the alphabet letters on the white board. Other times, he just refused to do the lesson; even though, I had bribed him for rewarding. He just simply knew and said, "NO, I don't want....."

This morning, I had tried to teach him basic concepts such as by throwing: one, some or all of the tangerines into a wicked vampire pail. Since I failed being as a mother-teacher, I had thought that if I had Dylan acted like a teacher because he is nearly the same age as Ryan's. It worked, but unfortunately, it lasted for at least two minutes.

Then Ryan announced, " I don't want to throw oranges. "

My stunning reply, "Why?"

Unexpectedly, he said, "Because I'm sick of the fun."

I admit that I was pretty sad that I didn't get across to him that it is a fun, educational game. Perhaps, the next time will do.

2 comments:

Deby said...

It is summertime and it seems like the kids don't want to learn anything. Just throw them in the backyard with the pool and the sprinklers on. Kick back with a book and an icy cold drink and enjoy the summer. It will be over all too soon.

Laura and the family said...

True true... however, we cannot forget that it is critical to have ongoing education especially for any special education kids... Otherwise, they will slip into further education. (Unfortunately, I too often have seen my deaf and hard of hearing students.)