Saturday, May 24, 2008

All About Dylan

Last Thursday, my family and I went to Dylan's school for Open House. Dylan was so excited to show his work off. Who wouldn't blame him? Not us. We were so curious about his update work.

Before we were able to go in his first grade classroom, we stopped by the cafeteria where there all of the artists' displaying on the wall. Each teacher provided all of their students' art work in cafeteria. It was REALLY neat to see the work from pre-schoolers to fifth graders. While Dylan looking for his art work, he met another so-called girlfriend, who is in Kindergarten. He and Michelle, the other girlfriend were holding their hands while looking for his art's work. Isn't that cute for puppies love?

As soon as he found his art work, he was so PROUD to show his work off. We personally thought he did excellent job on doing his own fish art work. He also had created the other sea animals in the same picture: jellyfish, starfish, and kelps. There were many Sea Animals art works in his classroom.

Shortly after we finished seeing his art work in cafeteria, we went to Book Fair. The boys were so excited to go to the Book Fair. Dylan especially was hoping to find The Magic Tree House series, book 39 as it was shown on the flyer. Dylan was disappointed that the book fair did not have a book that he was searching. Perhaps, we can find at Ryan's next week Open House where it also has Book Fair. Instead, we found Hot Wheel CD Games for their computer. Hot Wheels is another thing they are currently obsessed.

Finally, we were able to get in Dylan's classroom. The first thing, the teacher gave each student guided tour check lists for them to show off to their parents. We thought it was a marvelous idea to keep their hands and mind busy. Almost everything in this time of the trimester, they were heavily talking about The Life of Sea Animals.

One of the walls, one of his essays was about Jellyfish, his favorite sea animals. He thought it was neat because he didn't have a brain. Wasn't he trying to compete that he is smarter than the Jellyfish? On his essay, he wrote three pages about Jellyfish! His teacher scored him the top of his practice Direct Writing Assessment. For instance, he started off saying, " Let me tell you about Jellyfish. Some jellyfish are small as a penny or a dime.. We get the jelly from jellyfishes, and we should thank the jellyfish. I'm not kidding." We were pleased he was able to describe the jellyfish vividly.

As he was guiding us around the classroom, his first grade teacher was telling me few things about him. Nearly almost all of his journals, he included the numbers! That was something I did not know. For instance, " I can use the computer technology that can steal the information from someone's else house that is 14 miles away." Who knows how did he come up with the numbers? I guess he is "Arthimomonia." It would crack the teacher up whenever she read his journals. She also mentioned that he is at the end of second grade math level, even though he is only in first grade. Mrs. Lampshire, his teacher told me that she had to give him more advance math class including learning to borrowing in subtraction and some basic multiplication. Just like his dad who is also in advance in math.

It was a nice closing feeling about his work at the Open House. We were definitely proud of his hard work.

7 comments:

Mandee said...

Yay for Dylan! A math whiz? So jealous... I am horrible at math!

I loved Book Fairs when I was in elementary school... actually, I still love them!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

He's got the best imagination. I'll bet he felt proud showing off his stuff to you.

Deby said...

How cool! I am so proud of him!!

I loved all of Katya's open houses when she was in elementary school and I was always good for buying some books at those book fairs.

Please tell Dylan how proud of him we are!

Anonymous said...

Watch out when he gets to be a teen! Judging by this picture Dylan is already a "leg man", and with his personality he won't have any trouble finding girl friends.

I loved his story about jelly fish giving us jelly. Does he know that they sting? And has David told him that a quick cure for a Jelly fish sting you get on the beach is to "pee on it". ( The ammonia in the urine stops the sting temporarily). I'd love to see Dylans face when he learns that.

He looks really cute without a tooth. What is he going to buy with his money from the tooth fairy? A pez holder??? Mom/CC

Anonymous said...

What a great open house night! I think I'd like to go back to elementary school for a year so that I can learn all about sea creatures and other fun things. I don't remember getting to draw fish in any college classes. Maybe Dylan will let me tag along with him to 2nd grade - haha!

Furry Bottoms said...

Looks like your boys are really doing well! I remember book fairs and I used to LIVE for those days... Got all my Judy Bloom books that way, heh

Laura and the family said...

Oh I remembering loving and reading all of her Judy Blume books. It was like I was reading secretly, especially reading a book by her, "Aren't you there God? It's me, Margaret." But I wished the school had book fairs during my time. I ended up borrowing many library books.