Monday, May 26, 2008

Expectation from Tooth Fairy

Who can’t remember the thrill of putting a lost tooth under the pillow at bedtime and waking up the next day to some shiny new coins? So, what would you do if your child expect a lot more than you have it in your wallet? It happened to my older son, Dylan who expected Tooth Fairy leaves him a ten dollar bill. Leaving ten dollar is awful a lot of money for today's kids! In my time, I usually got a penny or a nickel from a tooth fairy.

Well a night before Dylan had lost his first baby tooth, he kept bugging us every other minute for an hour before it finally came out of his tooth. An hour later, he finally happily screamed, " I finally lost my baby tooth. I am so exciting !" Of course, we were so eager to take pictures of him with a hallow tooth. Another reason for being so enthusiastic was that he is the last person in his first grade to lose a baby tooth. It was in time for the class to celebrate altogether before the school 's out.The next thing, he knew he was supposed to write a letter to Tooth Fairy. In a letter, he described how and where to find his first tooth. He even mentioned that it was essential to leave the exact amount of money, $ 1.09. Don't ask me why or how did he come up with a specific amount of money?? My best guessing it probably includes tax when he buys something for a dollar.Just before he went to bed, he was hopping up and down because he was so anxious to tell everyone in school that he finally lost his tooth. But to his disappointment that the next day was a holiday, Memorial Day. With his glum looks, he kept telling me, "Oh I wish there was a school tomorrow, so I can show everyone my empty tooth." Who wouldn't blame to turn his excitement down?

The next morning, he was about to wake up as I was passing by his room. The first thing he did was to check and see if the tooth fairy had arrived. Good grief, a note from Tooth Fairy and a cash had arrived ! Dylan was bewildered, "Why didn't the Tooth Fairy bring me $1.09?" Thus, I had to think of a valid excuse. My valid excuse was, "I think the Tooth Fairy thought you were special and was being so patience to wait for another day to tell everyone at school about your first lost baby tooth. The tooth fairy thought you deserved a special to get a two dollar." He was satisfied with the reason. Dylan also read a short letter from Tooth Fairy telling him to take care of his teeth daily.

Shortly after he finished reading a letter, he ran toward to his groggy dad about getting two dollars and a letter. We just smiled and watched him being a happy seven years old boy becoming a growing-up boy.

8 comments:

Deby said...

Too funny! I still have one of Katya's letter's to the tooth fairy.

Katya had no concept of money for the longest time, so she got jewelry. Cute princess bracelets and little necklaces and stick on earrings.

Please tell him congrats for me.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Dylan! I was very scared to lose my teeth when I was a kid and I would scream and cry when someone tried to help me pull them. I made my poor parents miserable. I'm so glad Dylan thinks that this is exciting and that's it's a brave big boy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dylan,
Wow! Congratulations on losing your first tooth. I hope you are keeping them nice and clean and healthy. I've heard that the tooth fairy charges money for teeth that have cavities or fillings. Just a word of warning for you; If you want to make money on this deal you have to floss and brush regularly. Anyway, I hope you enjoy showing all of your friends the empty space. Have you tried squirting water through it yet? Very fun!!! Just be careful not to do it in the house.
Love you

Anonymous said...

Dear Dylan,

I am so proud of you for losing your last baby tooth. I am sure the tooth fairy was very pleased. Just remember to brush all you new teeth everyday. They must last you a long, long time :-)

All my love,

Great Aunt Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Dylan on losing his first tooth. Hey Dylan, wait 'til you loose your front teeth on top. Those are the really valuable ones. The tooth fairy brought my son DJ $5 for each of those! I am really proud to hear what a wonderful, smart boy you are. It sounds like you enjoyed 1st grade. Have a wonderful summer. I hope you and Ryan go swimming every day!

Love, Donna

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Mr. Dylan McClellan,

I want to congratulate you on loosing that baby tooth.

How did you get it out? Does your voice have a little whistle in it now?

Keep those new ones shiney bright, they will need to last for about 100 years : )

Love You

Anonymous said...

Wow Dylan... Two whole dollars. That tooth fairy must think that you are special. I am happy for you.

Next you will loose the bottom tooth next to it , Then you can tell everyone that you look like a gopher.

Love Grandma Jacobs

Furry Bottoms said...

I remember being excited about the tooth fairy, but I don't remember how much she left me!! I think it was a quarter. Later, I found some of my baby teeth in the bottom of the coin jar so the gig was up!