Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Gifts

Did you know that on May 11th was marked one hundred year anniversary for Mother's Day? It was Anna Jarvis' idea, who never had been married nor had children. She started giving the white carnation because she felt it signified the purity of a mother's love. But it didn't start three years after her mother's death. What a blessing for her to have a heart for all mothers from all over the world, who deserved to be special.

On Mother's Day, I got three separate gifts. They were from my two sons and a dear husband of mine.

Dylan wrote me a letter about thanking me for letting him to cook the scrambled eggs. In the letter, he described that he appreciated me for letting him to the cooking procedures: break the shells of the eggs, pour the milk, and cooked the eggs. He also made a hand painted magnet for the refrigerator. On the little note, it says, " Here is the hand. You used to hold. When I was only 7 years old." He painted pink because he thought it was a feminine color.

Ryan also made two darling purple plastic flowers in a green weave plastic basket. I thought it was a clever way for not me to worry about watering the beautiful flowers. He even wrote clear and loud words, "Happy Mother's Day. Love, Ryan." It melt my heart that he did his best in his writing.

David, my dear husband surprised me. I thought he only would let me do whatever I wanted for Mother's Day. I did was getting my hair cut, getting my toe nails done, and working on the garden. While I was working on the front yard, he brought me a dozen of beautiful red roses. I sure was pleased to see that it was really important for me to get the flowers from him sometimes despite of his comment, "It is a waste to buy flowers because it dies!" That made me feel very good for being a wonderful wife to him!

What did you get for Mother's Day? What did you do for Mother's Day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

laura! happy mothers day wow love the gifts from your sons! the paper flowers surely looks pretty! even id love to make those for myself hee hee-- lovely red roses! xo

Heather said...

For mother's day, I gave my kids a present. I told them I was going to have another baby! (In case you haven't heard from Cathy or Deby yet - I told them both today.)They are very excited! So am I, just a little nervous. It's been a few years since I've had a baby!

I'm glad you had a nice mother's day. Where is the picture of your new haircut and painted toes???