Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Creepy Stranger

Yesterday at the front of Wal-Mart parking lots, a daring, creepy stranger approached to me if I could help her taking her home because her car was locked. She was carrying a small bag of medication from the Wal-Mart.

While the boys and I were in the van, she approached and asked me, "I need your help. Can you take me home? I'm confused. My car is locked."

I had an immediate suspicion. Without making it too obvious, I replied to her, " I suggest you to go inside of Wal-mart and find the worker to help you unlock your car. Or to call your family to get you."

She then tried to seclude me, " I don't have the money. Can you lend me a dollar?" I did reply the same comment. She walked away and asked another couple who was also at the parking lots. The couple, who was in a front of my van, also turned her down.

At the end, she surrendered. Know what she did? She was able to get inside of her and drove it off. I knew she was up to something. It didn't matter if she was up to something, or not. I had to protect myself and my kids. The best part was that I showed my role-model to my sons by not accepting any kind of offers. Dylan had learned his lesson from me. I surely hope he remembers for what I had done by rejecting for helping the creepy stranger.

Have you had any kind of creepy stranger? If so, what happened and what did you do?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow-- hate when that happens-- i get creeped when strangers come up for help, depending on my vibes and the siutation but this one, you did the right thing.. no matter what we should NOT trust strangers out there.. guess i watch too much movies! HA xo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you handled this one well...considering she was lying. I keep some cheap blankets ($5 at Ross) and some non-perishable food in the car in grocery bags. I enjoy giving these to the people on corners with signs. It is better than giving them money. Up here in Oregon a blanket is always welcome if you live outdoors. Mark often gives gas money to those who say they have run out of gas and are trying to get home. I never get close to these people, though. I like to help but our safety comes first. Many of them are mentally ill and I feel sad for them.

Furry Bottoms said...

Yes, this same thing happened to me about 4 years ago. My mom and I went in to order dinner at KFC... and this woman came up to me and asked me if she could have a ride home because she had a migraine and could not drive herself or her kids.... her teenage kids were at a table and they looked creepy. The first thing I thought of and the first thing I spoke out of my mouth was "sorry, my car only has 2 seats." That is not the truth, but it just blurted out of my mouth. Her teenage kids looked old enough to be able to drive so why didn't she ask them? My gut feeling was bad vibes from this lady.

I had an experience with a Hobo... there is a story somewhere on my blog about the hobo on the street corner. He tried to charm me and he made me laugh and then I left. 4 hours later I came back... on my way home and he is still there. I just decided what the heck... so I looked all over in my carto find every cent I had and dollar bills and everything and I gave them all to him. He didn't seem to be on drugs or an alcoholic, and he had a dog with him. He looked like a tired traveller so that was good vibes.

Deby said...

There is a homeless man that lives in Poway (or did when I lived there) and he never, ever begged. He moved from street to street and sought refuge in the winter under building awnings. Katya and I would make him a lunch or buy a small gift card to the grocery store and drop it off to him wherever he was at least once or twice a week. He obviously had a mental illness and we enjoyed trying to help him out a little.

Being approached by a stranger is a whole different thing. I am immediately defensive and I sure as heck won't be letting them in my car. You did the right thing. You never know what the truth is and unless all they need is a sandwich - it is best to keep your distance.

Laura and the family said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I had to follow my guts: need to protect my kids, who love to talk to strangers. Of course, I have lectured Dylan, including Ryan (he learns from his brother), NOT to talk to the strangers. They don't listen to me. But from this recent incident, I hope it teaches Dylan from my modeling.

When the kids are older and able to defend themselves, I will teach them the difference between the strangers and mentally ill. Eventually, I will teach them that it's better to give them the food instead of cash.

It is not that I'm being selfish for not helping the strangers. The matter is that I have to protect our brand new van. And the most important is to protect my children.

Anonymous said...

Darn right! The kids' safety is number one!

Furry Bottoms said...

I just read your response for this blog entry on May 18th. It made me laugh, what you said about your kids love to talk to strangers. I remember when I was chatting with you on VP, and Dylan wouldn't talk to me because... "I don't talk to strangers!!!" That was so cute. You're a good mommy.