Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Awesome Open House!

Just last night, Dylan, Ryan and I went to Ryan's Open House at his school site. Before we visited Ryan's two different awesome classrooms: General Education and Special Education was visiting the Art Gallery in cafeteria. Each student had their own art work displaying on the wall from each teacher. I must admit I was impressive when I saw Ryan's art display on the board. You can judge his picture.After we finished visiting the art museum, we stopped by of our favorite place: book fair. I bought three books for the boys to read: Animal Strike at the Zoo, All aboard the Dinotrain and,Tiger Can't Sleep. I can't wait for them to read these books. As soon after I finished purchasing the books, we met the other parents, teachers and students at the front of the office, where they had their dinner.

While we were waiting for teachers to allow us entering the classroom, Ryan hung around one of his good friends, Alexander from his General Education classes. He formally introduced his friend to me. " Mom, this is my friend, Alexander." " This is my mom. " Wasn't that sweet of him do this proper manner without prompts? They both had a back and forth conversation. While Ryan and Alexander were busy chatting each other, Dylan went out to chat with other person. It was a short, relaxing moment before we got ourselves busy visiting the two classrooms.
The first classroom was his General Education classes: Language Arts and Math. This teacher, Ms. Hartig had a brilliant idea by displaying her "Rain forest" classroom theme. There were brown butcher twigs with green leaves all over the classroom. She even had students coloring rain forest animals and hung them up on the trees. Can't you believe that she even brought another awesome ideas of making a binocular out of two empty toilet paper rolls and put it together?

She even had another side of the wall: Farm Animals. That also included bring the four live chicks. The Kindergartens had the opportunity to watch them hatching the eggs. I bet the kids, including Ryan would NEVER forget this
wonderful opportunity. Before we left for another classroom, Ms. Hartig, the general education teacher, mentioned how proud he had done remarkable well in her class. He adored her very much!

The last classroom we visited was his Special Education classes. He only is there for an hour of each day. Mrs. Jacobson also had incredible classroom theme: "Underwater Sea Animals." She had so many blue cellophane to make it looks like water waves. Another impressive was making each student's body with a swimming mask on the top of the ceiling. Unfortunately, Ryan's was not on the top of the ceiling because he is mostly involved in mainstream classes. The only positive comment from her was, " I can't wait to tell you at the transition meeting on how well he is doing all of his classes on June 17th." (So look out for my post on the night of 17th.)

I would say I was so glad I came to the Open House for three reasons: to support my son's, collected little information about Ryan's update work performances, and lastly stealing some of the ideas for my classroom.

3 comments:

Deby said...

Cool! What awesome teachers and what great work the boys did. I know that they were both so proud to show off their classrooms and their artwork.

I am just amazed with Ryan's progress the past couple of years. He is doing so well!

Anonymous said...

What creative teachers Ryan has. It must make going to school a lot of fun. Mom/CC

Anonymous said...

WOW!That was awesome! You must put a lot of work into that. I really appreciate all the wonderful things you had to say about the classrooms. Ryan is such a great part of that classroom.... he is an amazing student. You should really be proud of all the work he does and how hard he tries in doing that work. I, like Mrs. Jacobson, can hardly wait until the meeting on the 17th to share how well he is doing. You should all be proud!
-Amy Hartig