Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dear Abby

Dear Abby,

This past week, I realized my older son, who is bright and perfectionist, is being obsessed about food daily. He is only 6 1/2 years old, 50 inches height, and weigh 65 pounds, stocky with heavy bones. I have watched what I put it for his variety of lunch: sandwich, fruits or vegetables, and fruit drinks.

On the same week, I received a note from school's cafeteria saying that I owe them a money. It left me puzzled because I have been faithful for making my children's lunches every single morning. Once I found it out, I confronted my son with two question, "Can you explain me why do I owe a school lunch money when I made you lunches? 'Did you buy lunches without my permission ? (Though, he occasionally got chances to buy lunches with my knowledge.) First, he would not reply to me until he gave it up when I waited for his answer. He admitted that he threw his home made lunches away. From that point, I gave him a grounded for NOT allowing him to buy lunches until the end of the month. He apologized and accepted the consequence.

However, three days later, I received an email from his teacher stating that he took another student's snack. She did suggest me to leave extra food for snack which I did. By the time, we arrived home from work/school, I discovered he did not eat his Fruit Snack. I commended him to give me valid reason for taking someone's else lunch instead of his own snack. His response was, "My friend gave me sugar cookies. I like those cookies." He knows that the school does not allowed to have sweet food since the school cafeteria also had adopted to provide healthy food for students.

Last, I just spoke with his teacher at the convention center. She stated that she overheard him talking to himself in a classroom that " I am so sick of my mother giving me the same lunch. " It was not true that I gave him same lunches. She and I agreed that I gave her a privilege to talk with him because I knew he would listen to her better than me as a mom.

Just this evening, we had a chicken noodle soup, a stalk of celery with peanut butter, and a small bowl of fruit cocktail. At first, he refused to eat either stalk of celery nor a bowl of fruit cocktail. I honesty was puzzled why there was no celery with peanut better in his lunch box today. He admitted he gave it to his friend at school. So in order, I made him to eat either a stalk of celery or fruit cocktail. He was struggled for the first few minutes until he accepted my order to start off a small bowl of fruit cocktail.

Of course, I had shared my concern with his teacher and my older son that I worry about his obsession over the food and his future bad habits. Now, I am in desperate of giving me ideas on how to convince my older son to accept eating healthy food.

Concerned Mom

4 comments:

Deby said...

That is a tough one!!

I used to load up on organic alternatives at Henry's. I would give Katya chips, but they were blue corn chips.

Maybe try taking him to the grocery store with you when you buy lunch stuff and see what you can compromise on.

Good luck with this one. This is a toughie.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I will concur with Deby on the compromising aspect. We always take Davon to the food store and ask him what he wants for his snacks for the morning Kindergarten and for home as well. He makes a few good choices out of these shopping sprees as a way to enhance his self-worth and self-awareness.

Try that....good luck!

Anonymous said...

This is not too unusual a behaviour, but I am glad both you and the school are working on it together. Hopefully the teacher will work with the other parents so that they are not sending sugar cookies to school to be traded.

In Dylan's case ti wukk probably help to give the kid some control:

Offer him an chance to make choices of what he will eat from the basic healthy food groups.

Get him go grocery shopping with you for healthy foods (maybe at Trader Joes?)

Have him help plan the menus for lunch.

Make your kids' lunches the coolest. Use a wide variety of foods your child likes. Don't let them get boring. You could use a different fruit everyday for a month! Make it an event (guess the fruit--no peeking!). You could even send clues along about tomorrow's fruit, so everyone is trying to guess. Another month, carve faces into some carrot sticks. They can name the carved carrots and eat the best one last. Or try fortune vegetables--instead of fortune cookies. Maybe paint the sandwich with a face, or cut it out into a shape with a coockie cutter. I can remember being told, "Don't play with your food." I'm telling you the opposite. Learn to play with your children's food. You'll have a great time and make a big difference for them.

Dylan is picky about his food. Introduce new foods often with the one bite rule. ( He has to eat at least one bite of it before he can say no thank you to a food ... an no exceptions), that way he will have more options to choose from.

Ask your both children to take three bites of all the foods on their plate and give it a grade, such as A, B, C, D, or F. When healthy foods - especially certain vegetables -- get high marks, serve them more often. at other tastings you can even have them grade it for color, shape, texture, and smell as well as taste. That way you will learn why they like or don't like a food). Offer the items your children don't like less frequently. This lets your children participate in decision making. After all, dining is a family affair.

Both of them are highly motivated by approval, so remember to praise them for healthy choices..

'Here is a good website with more ideas.

http://www.saferchild.org/foodtips.htm

Good luck.. Mom... CC

Anonymous said...

Lots of good ideas up there:) You could also try using a sticker chart, for example 5 fruits and veggies daily = one dessert of choice (like a slurpee or a dairy queen cone) alone with a special trip with you or David...Dylan's choice. do it for Ryan too. You could offer a non-food choice too. I was always surprised to find out that Diana wamnted me to sit down with her to watch My Little Pony or some kids show. The sticker chart lets them see the progress they are making. Hope it helps. You should invent "kiddie chow." It could come in a variety of ki-friendly flavors (chocolate, bubble-gum) and be nutritionally complete. Throw some in a baggie and they're good to go!