Thursday, January 3, 2008

Visting with Grandparents

On New Year Eve's weekend, we decided to visit our grandparents for our belated Christmas. Can you image we traveled a little over three hundred miles within one day ? That's right, we did! I was pleased both of our sons, Dylan and Ryan did not complain on our way to visit Grandma McClellan's (David's grandma) and Grandma Campbell-Kasper's (my side.)

First, we started off driving from our home to Long Beach to see David's grandma. We all got there in time for an early lunch. Grandma McClellan greeted us at the front door, which it startled Dylan. It was because he has not seen her in two years. As soon as we walked in the house, the boys were explored around the house.

Just before we started eating our home made lunch, we met Ricky's in the garage. I was stunned that they were allowed to build a shower and a bedroom in the garage because I thought it was illegal to convert to a bedroom. Guess, they had to go through with the city's approval. From there, Ricky followed us to the house for setting our lunch on a table.

After we had a quick lunch, Grandma McClellan was shocked to receive a brand new Sony DVD player. It was a perfect Christmas gift for her because she recently got a brand new plasma flat TV in her guest room.

While we were chatting before we left for another visit to my Grandma Campbell to Hemet, Dylan explored the location on where we lived from a globe. As we asked him to show us where the live, he is getting good at knowing the location, including South America and Europe ! Ryan was playing with his Game Boy.
As we headed for another one hundred and fifty miles to see my Grandma Campbell-Kasper and her husband, it continued to amaze me that there were no complaining or needing to pull over the road from the boys, except I was foiled when there was a traffic nearby her home.

Who would want to be with the road raging driver ? So, David took over the driving seat and drove the rest to her mobile home. We got there by five p.m, an hour and a half late due to the traffic. But we got there in time for dinner. They were excited to see us because it was nearly a year and half since we last saw their Oregon home.

Grandma was proud to show me what she has remodel around her mobile home. In my entire life, she always LOVED to remodel new things in and outside of the house. I have to admit that she is pretty good at knowing what it is needed to do such as putting the shades for her porch, replacing the lava to stone rocks for her two dogs.

While we were there, the boys were excited to see the piano. That's another thing my grandma is good at playing piano. She taught herself! That's smart of her not to spend a piano lesson, including accordion. Both Ryan and Grandma sang "Jingle, Jingle Jingle Bells."

Finally, it was time for us to treat them out to Home Buffet for their Christmas gift from us. Grandma and Ray, my step grandfather, loved it because they knew they could eat anything they wanted and could eat as much as they wanted. I only ate one plate of a dinner- that was enough for me. But Dylan, who is only 6 1 /2, was hungry enough for a second plate! He was about to go out for a third plate, but I had to stop him because I told him there was a dessert. Ryan especially like spaghetti over the pizza ! At the end, they were excited to make their own ice cream from Home Buffet.

Spending two hour visiting with them was worthwhile for us! We sure hope we will be able to see them again because I know my Grandma is holding herself so long with five time heart surgery and three times for her knee replacement. In my heart, I know she is a gallant woman I ever know, including her sense of humors!
Just before we headed for home, I had eyes for "Scrapbook Corner." Of course, I bought few accessories before it was closed. The boys and David were in good sports for staying in a van for at least ten minutes before we hit for another two hours road.

While we were on a road, I thought the boys would be fast asleep. Nope not either for Dylan or Ryan! Doesn't that amaze you that two young boys would stay up for twelve hours then pooped them out by the time we arrived home? We were satisfied to see both of our grandparents despite of a long drive within one day.

1 comment:

Deby said...

Ok, that was some serious driving! Very nice gift to Grandma McClellan. I think she will like that a lot.