Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fear of Spiders

Everyone is scared of something, and if they try to deny that fact, they're probably lying. From clowns to spiders or even dolls, certain objects and creatures generally give people the creeps.

But imagine having a fear of bathing, breathing or sleeping. Ordinary occurrences most people experience daily, but that drive some people to the point of terror. Living with a phobia can make even the most typical tasks absolutely impossible to some people.

After I have done few researches, I learned fearing spiders is one of the most common phobias. Well, it started from Ryan, who is really terrified of spiders. He would not scream out of the spiders, but instead watching his eyes dilated, stepping out of the way, and asked any adult to kill the spiders even if it is NOT harmful. I will give you an idea on how much he is afraid of a spider.

One early evening, I had to pick Ryan up from the Extension Student Services (ESS) at his school site along with his brother, Dylan. When he saw me along with the ESS leader who walked with him to meet me, he then said to me," Mommy, I saw a spider in the playground" with his terrified looks. My reply was, "Oh really, was it small or big spider?" The response from him was, "small spider." The ESS leader chuckled and gave me a non-verbal gesture by showing how small it was (no more than 1/2 inches.) As we had ongoing short conversation, I replied, "Oh, the spider must have scared you." He would then said to me,"Yeah, the small spider scared me."

Lately, he had made an effort to look at a close-up spider. But now, I have to deal with Dylan, who is acting like he is copying his brother's fear! It happened to us last night while doing their homework. Dylan, who immediately saw a spider ling on our dining table, screamed,"SPIDER!" It automatically scared Ryan.

His dad, who happened to near them, rescued them by killing the spider ling in order to satisfy them! I felt like I am destroying the nature. Hopefully, it has nothing to do by giving me bad luck that includes having spider eggs!

Like I said earlier that I had done research about spiders, I also learned how to solve the problems about not getting scared of spiders, except for black widows. It mentioned to do step by step with anyone who is fear of spider. The last part is petting non-harmful spider. That's my destination to help my child to overcome the fear of spiders.

2 comments:

Deby said...

I was scared of spiders my whole life.

The solution? Grow up and become a parent that has to kill / move the spiders for your own kids.

I still get Bob to do it whenever I can though. :)

Anonymous said...

I think spiders are fascinating! What a beautiful picture of the web with dew.