Thursday, August 14, 2008

American Sign Language Club

I just found it out that my older son, Dylan took an American Sign Language Club last year at his school site. One of my co-workers, who happened to be deaf and taught hearing classes in American Sign Language. She told me what Dylan had asked.

When the deaf teacher began to teach few basic sign language, Dylan raised his hand to the teacher with a hearing sign language interpreter being presented. He told her, " I don't want you to teach me basic signs. I wanted you to teach me the trick signs." Both interpreter and teacher held their laughter. The deaf teacher explained to him that there were other hearing students did not know signs and encouraged him to teach others as well. He made a negative facial expression because it did not reach his expectation.

I later asked him what did he meant about teaching him the trick signs. His response was, " I wanted to learn the very hard words." That's typical of him who wanted to learn anything that is above him.

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

How cute is that!!!! I think that its wonderful that Dylan wants to exceed everyones expectations. Wonderful trait in education.

Anonymous said...

That is what most KODAs probably go through with high expectations! I don't blame Dylan for that....that is so GOOD for Dylan to see the other side!