Friday, August 15, 2008

Setting Up A Classroom

For the past two weeks, I had been cleaning my new classroom on and off. When I first came to my new pre-school classroom, I found so many junk things, boxes, dirty toys and so forth. It took me a lot of times to go through with all of the unnecessary things for the classroom. Actually, it was not an easy task to go through especially with the heat.

First, I started out cleaning inside of the closets where there were many spiders, spilling things and disorganizing stuff in pile boxes. The next thing, I did was taking out of the monthly boxes to see what was still good. Truthfully, many of them in the boxes were more than 10 years old! Ewww!

The next day, I had an unexpected right hand helper. A friend of mine came to help me to throw the missing puzzles out, washed and organize the toys and books. That was not the only thing she and I worked together for a day. We also had to figure it out what to keep, throw it away or give it out to the other pre-school teachers. The other teacher who had my classroom had dumped everything. That was NOT fun things to do. Despite of doing what we had to do, I treated my friend a gracious lunch.

A week later, my friend and I gradually decorated the classroom before my permanent aide arrived. My aide admitted that the classroom is far more cheerful than last year. She was also pleased things are being more cleaner and organizing in a group. Still, she is motivated for three reasons: willing to straight everything out in the drawers, keeping the theme: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See, Hear, Sight and Feel? I am incorporating the monthly theme with other pre-school classrooms. She is also excited to do many more work I am giving it to her throughout the year such as finishing the bulletin boards,up, monthly journals, fine motor assignments and many more things to do. Am I being tough?

In reality of setting up a classroom, I am also teaching Kindergarten and first grader. It means I have three different assignments to work with each student on their goal. That is a typical challenging for all special education teachers.

On the 18th, I start having little students in my class. I must admit that I am NERVOUS WRECK because it is a really BIG GAP from teaching junior high school "smarty pant" students for eight years to pre-school students. Wish me luck I will excel in working with the younger kids and keeping my energies up especially at my age.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Good luck, Laura! You will do great! Your classroom looks awesome and those kids are so lucky to have you as their teacher!

Anonymous said...

Laura, you'll do a FABULOUS job working with the very young children!!! It is an admirable and adorable challenge -- yes, I said these "A" words -- I used to work with kids of this grade group during the summer school and it was an awesome experience seeing the small hands and the wandering eyes of these kids in action!

Mandee said...

You will be so great with the little ones! And your classroom looks beautiful! Good luck!

Love and miss you guys!

Furry Bottoms said...

Laura, I had experienc with you being a teacher's aide when I was a pre-teen to teenager... and you were wonderful!! You have warmth and heart... very caring and generous personality. You are so calm and your eyes catch things so fast. You will EXCEL as a teacher for these little kids. They're so cute and will make you laugh and cry at the same time. After a few days, you will get the hang of it and you'll wonder why you never did it before!! :) I'll be thinking positive thoughts of you on the 18th and always!

Anonymous said...

What a cool loooking classromm. Your new students will love it.

I know you will do great with the kids, and that they will love you. Just look how your own kids respond.

If I were an aide, I would be happy that the teacher wanted me to do something meaningful that really helpes the kids.

Mom/CC

Deby said...

You are amazing! Prepping a classroom is a lot of work. I still love your Brown Bear theme and you have it so well laid out!

The room is cheery and bright. I hope that Alexis and Logan get lucky enough to have a teacher as amazing as you when they get to school.

You are without a doubt one of the most creative and patient people I know when it comes to teaching. You make the world a better place.