Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Certficates

Just this afternoon, I went to Vital Records to have a clerk verify whether our birth certificates were valid. Nope, none of our birth certificates were valid!

Both Dylan and Ryan only had a letter from the hospital to prove where they were born, time, date, parents' name and the doctor's name. While I was at the office, I was puzzled yet was glad I was able to retrieve the birth certificates at the office on the same day. They charged me $17 for each certificate with cash or check only. That was one of the things I needed to take care of the important things before we leave for next year's trip to Disney Cruise.

As for David, he did have a gold seal on the birth certification. It was NOT enough to prove that it is a real certification. I was shocked. Can you believe that? The clerk was not able to provide my husband's a vital birth certification because he was not born in the same county where I was in the office. That applied to me. Wonder what the real vital birth certification looks like? The real birth certification shows the name of the state and county on the top of the paper, and the state symbols on the bottom of the paper with mother's and doctor's signature.

Thus, I had to go back home, used the computer, and ordered vital birth certificates for my husband and me. That even charged us a lot more than at the office due to shipping. Not only charging us for the shipping, my husband and I had to go to Notary Office and signed the paper to fax. That even charged us even higher: paying for Notary and sending the Fax out. So in the meantime, I have to wait for the UPS to give us our vital birth certifications before we apply the passports.

While I was at the Notary, I often evoked myself with a question, "How would it be possible to get my children get through to the school registration without vital birth certifications ? " I only gave the secretary the copies of my sons' paperwork from the hospital of their birth information. I imaged that maybe there were possible that many "forged" parents registered the "kidnapped" child in the school. What is your opinion about this?

3 comments:

Deby said...

They changed the birth certificates about seven or so years ago. I had ordered several copies of Katya's certificate after she was born. It was the size of a 1/2 sheet of paper. When they switched to the full size certificate I had to get new ones for myself as well. Cha-ching.

I hope they don't change it again anytime soon. I also have to do the passport thing and that will cost enough as is. At least Katya's is still valid.

Furry Bottoms said...

Thats unbelievable! Makes me wonder... I better check my own birth certificate. Mine was the same as Deby's... half a sheet of paper... when I first saw it I thought it was a fake. Maybe it is!! HAH ;-)

Anonymous said...

Bruce's Birth certificate is a 3 X 5 card size from the city of Hull. He's never had any problem with anyone accepting it. Neither one of us carry our birth certificates around. Most of the time we use our passports as proof of who we are.

Many Mexican families used their childs baptismal records to help prove the child's age. I suspect school district and other organizations are lax about what they will accept, because they are afraid of getting sued by people claiming that the district is discrimnating against Latinos.