Monday, August 18, 2008

Our First Day of School

Right up until this bright morning (6:30 A.M.), my sons had been well-prepared taking off for their first day of school: new clothes, new class, new teacher, and meeting new and old friends. It also applied me meeting my new students and lessons, especially working with much younger kids than I had taught in the past. This challenged for all three of us by facing this unknown encounter.

But just a few minutes after I dropped my young sons at their new classroom, they were all lined up. Clearly, they were ready, and I was proud. They call this a part of growing up, but I'm the one that has to grow. I plead for more strength and courage before I let them go.

(To ease their anxiety, they were goofing around when they shut their eyes.)

I know them well. They are my sons. And this is an important step in growing up, a mission I've been preparing them to run. Dylan was anxious for this adventure to begin; he'll be so eager he won't even wave goodbye. Ryan was somewhat feeling unsecured in his new school environment since he was transferred to this school site. Their teachers made sure each of them were feeling comfortable on their first day of school.

All of my protections for them suddenly vanished. (SOBS!) They both have between twenty to twenty five students in their class. Both teacher have many years of experiencing working with deaf parents. That is an advantage for me. It is the same proportion for me working with students' whose parents often speaking other than English.

As for me, I am the ones who have to work extra harder to educate my deaf students because none of their parents can communicate with their child in sign language. Isn't that sad enough? Well, that is very typical for many deaf students who had dealt with 90 % of hearing parents who do not know sign. Not only being sympathies for my students, it is a great timing for me to teach my young students in language during their critical time of learning.

While I am facing the challenging of working in variety of language levels with my deaf students, my sons will be facing with choices. Eventually, they will learn many more new things around them. This is a fun way to watch my sons to learn more new education, but truthfully, I have to reminded myself NOT to overprotected them at all times. They call this a part of growing up, but I am the one that must grow.

Both Dylan and Ryan are learning the same thing as I am learning on how to work and teach with the younger deaf students. I must admit that today was an impact experience for me. One thing I have learned that I MUST keep everything ON GO and change into different activities at least 15 to 20 minutes per activities. Can you image that I must improvise at a very short notice? I often wonder how will I do throughout the year.

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Awwww its hard to let go and hand your children to other competent adults to learn during the day! It must make the end of the day a lot more joyful, with the reunion.

Deby said...

What the heck!!! Their parents don't know sign??!??! What is wrong with those people??

grrrrrrrr

Well, your boys are wonderful and fabulous. I am sure that they will both end up loving their teachers and make lots of friends.

You, my dear, are an amazing mom and teacher. Love ya