Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Inclusive Classes

Have you had any kind of experience you were being treated differently? Some people are treated differently because they have disabilities. Just because they’re a little different, sadly most people exclude them. Truthfully, they’re not that different though. They’re still people and they still have feelings. For instance, one of the regular education students, Rhy, Ryan's classmate, came up to me, "Ryan is my best friend. " Then, Ryan boosted his mood when he heard his classmate sharing with me. Then, Ryan gave him a hug. Another time, Ryan would come to me with tearful, " I don't want to get in trouble anymore." Third example of this evening, he was so thoughtful, "I'm full. You can have my Lasagna dinner. " Clearly, he does have feelings.

If people have mental or physical disabilities all they need is a little help. It applies to my younger son, Ryan who has a mild autism. Even though, he is in full-time mainstream classes. On a third day of his new school site, his general education teacher told me, "Ryan is picking up fast and getting to his work more than on his first day. " He was so proud to hear this comment from his teacher. Ryan then signed to me, " I'm good today, so I can play video computer game." (He remembers that he promises me to be a good boy at school. He did.)

Ryan is not the only student who has a special need in his class. One of my deaf students attend a part of his class: Motor Lab. There is a sign language interpreter, who translates for my deaf student. Interesting, Ryan watches her during the teacher's lecture.

Thus no one shouldn’t judge people on what they look like, or what they don’t know or can’t do. Nor should judge them on character, how nice they are. If you get to know them better they could turn out to be a great friend. It happens to Ryan and Rhy were bonds quickly from the first day of school. This is a great example of an article Click here

Inclusion is a very nice thing to do. It means anyone can include everyone to do normal things. When you include someone it makes them feel good because you treat them like a normal friend. Nobody likes being different and uninvited. Including makes people feel a lot less abandoned and left out.

1 comment:

Deby said...

No making me cry this early in the morning. I've got so much to do!

One of the greatest gifts we can give our children is that of tolerance, inclusion and patience. It may take a while to learn with some, but it makes the world a better place when they do.

Love you guys!