Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Magic Tree House

As a deaf mom, I just read a person's opinion about reading a book, "Magic Tree House" with Autism. I did the experiment because my older son enjoys reading this book-- he is now on Book 36 out of 40. So, I thought to give a try with my younger son, who has PPD-NOS known as Autism, is in a first grade class but reads at second grade level with a first grade reading comprehension.

For a starter on Book 1, I read the first chapter to him. After I read a first chapter to him, I asked questions. He got the answers right. On the next chapter, I inquired if he wanted me to read it to him. Yup, he was interested. So, I let him try reading this book-- he did good. At the end of Chapter 2, I questioned him. He did get some right and some wrong.

From my personal view of reading this book together, I think it is important to go through each chapter, ask questions, and show a picture. The more you practice on asking questions, any autism or other disability will gradually build up on able to answering questions. Not only building up able to answer the questions, the vocabulary words and images can gradually enhance on a child's critical thinking. Did you know that you don't have to create the questions? There are websites for the child to practice on reading the questions. That's what I eventually will do for my younger son. So he can do better whenever there is a reading comprehension questions or CAT-6 (California Achievement Tests.) Let's keep my fingers crossed that I make difference in Ryan's reading comprehension.

I highly recommend for any child with or without autism read this series books because it starts out from second grade reading to the end of fourth grade with full of imagination. It works because my older son, who is second grade, reads at third and write beautifully with descriptions! It will amaze my or your child's teacher.

1 comment:

Deby said...

Actually, it is an awesome practice with kids at any age and with any book.

You rock.