Monday, October 20, 2008

My Magic Tricks are Broken

While I was folding the clothes, Dylan came up to me, " I have a secret news to tell you. My magic tricks would not work at all. " I then told him, "Oh, you will need to practice a lot of times until you get your tricks correctly."

He announced that he would need a magic wand and a magic spell book so he would be able to get his magic tricks working properly. It caused me curiosity what were his three wishes to get his tricks working properly. Getting the answers turned out to what I never thought he would say any of these wishes. Believe it or not, his wishes were:

1) to have my mom become hearing
2) to have my dad become hearing
3) (He was thinking of his third wishes.)

I then inquired, "What about Ryan?" I thought it was something interesting from Dylan's perspective, "Ryan is normal." (Seriously, our life would not be interesting if he was not for Autism.) I had to remind Dylan that Ryan is Autism. Know what he said? " Oh yeah, you are right. Now, my third wish is Ryan to be normal."

At the end of his thoughts for his tricks, it left me a lot wondering if he knows he comes from an unique family, "two deaf parents and an autism hearing brother." Would he regret if he turned us out to be hearing and his brother is normal? I am sure because he would not want us to know some of the secret conversations he has with his brother, Ryan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dang! Some CODAs feel that way! Dylan is FUNNY thinking that way! I adore Dylan for his logical mind!

Davon sometimes does that to us when I ask him to voice the spelling words..he gives a "HUH?" facial expression but he gladly voices them later with a giggle at the end!

Cheryl said...

It's interesting to learn what kids consider "normal," and also when peer pressure starts to kick in. As someone who hopes (at some point) to raise kids with two mommies, I hope that all kids will be able to appreciate the ways in which their families are unusual and special. Not as teenagers, of course. That would probably be too much to ask.

C and B Scene said...

Do you remember when they were testing Ryan for Autism. One of the tests was whether he used his imagination to play with toys and stuffed animals and create imaginary activities with them. He wasn't even able to feed a doll. That was just a few short years ago. Now he is digging to China for buried treasure, and taking trips to the Tower of London. He has really come a long way. Kudos to both you and Ryan. Mom/CC