Sunday, October 26, 2008

Our Proudest Day

Pushing my two sons to go out for a run twice a week is tough! They often whined and complained that they have to run. I did for what I have to do for my family's health. Can a parent be wrong for feeling content with their efforts. I fought, struggled , everything an average parent, did.

It did not impact them to realize it was worth to run around the laps. During the Peace Circle, both Dylan and Ryan names were being called by a principal in front of the entire classes. She called them because they earned a reward: foot key chain for running five miles since they joined the Running Club. She also mentioned Ryan's name for "giving up his sand toys so others could use them." Boy, I wished I had a camera to capture one of their proudest moments.

Little I know, the four Deaf and Hard of Hearing staff, including me were asked to join inside of a peace circle for doing a fabulous job when we taught several hearing teachers about working with the deaf students in the classroom setting, using the interpreters properly and communicating with the deaf and hard of students properly. It sure felt so good to know that many teacher appreciated learning their new lessons from us.

Later on the same day, we were out to run walk and jog for Drug Free. Ryan said it out loud where
my aide heard and interpreted what he shouted, "AHHH, I have to run AGAIN!" But he ran and joined with his brother around the lap. I too was involved with one of my little students who needed my aid. It felt so good to encourage us to walk and run around the lap except I did not wear the appropriate shoes: sandals.

During my lunch hours, two teachers approached to me. Dylan's teacher mentioned that he did very well reading the Flat Stanley story that my mother sent him out from South Carolina. During his presentation, he giggled the whole time. He was so proud to show it off to the class. Ryan's teacher also came up to me about his reading assessment. She was amazed that his reading is very advanced. It sure felt so good to hear enough to finish my lunch.

That was a nice way to end of the week, and start off my weekend with my family.

3 comments:

Deby said...

Excellent! What a great week you had. I am very proud of the boys for all that running. Katya and I both love running too.

And congrats again on your shout out!

Furry Bottoms said...

You sound like a very pleased parent... I love it! :) WAY TO GO to your whole family! :)

C and B Scene said...

I'm with Ryan.... Running = Ugh. not me (but I will hike for miles and miles without stop).
But I am proud of both boys for doing it.

Did Dylan show the class the newspaper article I mailed to him at his home address about the Alligator someone caught in South Carolina? I thought that it would help him show his class why Flat Stanley was so nervous about seeing an alligator.... They get very very BIG!

Mom/CC