Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Sweet Surprise B-Day Party

When I first opened my classroom's door, I was staggered to find a birthday balloon, small flowers, and cupcakes on a mini table before the school started. Then, I automatically knew it was my aide because she has an access to get in the classroom. She was able to sneak in and set up an early birthday message. As soon I got out of my classroom, I was about to meet my students at Peace building Circle. I forgot something. Know what happened to me? Believe it or not, I locked my classroom out on my birthday! It left me no choice for ending up being embarrassed when I had to asking my secretary to hand me a spare key. She laughed, but did not realize it was my birthday.

As soon some of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing discovered it was my birthday, a friend of mine asked me why didn't I open my mouth. I simply replied that I am not the kind of a person who bragged about my "upcoming" birthday. We teased each other that we both were officially "29 years old!" Wouldn't it be nice to rewind my age?

Just before the kids' recess, the four Deaf and Hard of Hearing classes from Pre-School to fifth graders came to celebrate my birthday. They all were grateful to get away from working and eating the vanilla cupcakes, popcorn, and a cup of Orange Juice. Drinking Orange Juice may sound strange to you, but knowing it was a perfect morning snack especially at this season. All of the deaf students and staff sang in a song in both signing and orally. I admitted it was a nice feeling seeing them signing a song for my special day. Not only eating a snack, I got two extra gifts: screw punch from Martha Stewart for my scrapbook and candles and handmade soap for my bath.

When all of the kids headed for their recess, I also headed for my break. Without realizing, both of my sons Dylan and Ryan also heard that there was a surprise birthday party. They were upset that they didn't get a chance to sing a song for me. Ryan told one of the interpreters, "I'm MAD, I'm MAD at my mom!" Boy, I felt so bad! I did make it up for later of the evening.

When we got home, there was a package waiting for me that I had an eye from my sister in law, Deby's basement. She had 20 multi-colored drawers for the scrapbook. I thought it was an ideal place to store all of my scrapbook items in one place. Thus, my sweet husband ended up buying me for my birthday gift. He also brought me a bonquet of red carnations for my birthday. I am pleased by getting what I wanted for my birthday, instead of getting 4 boxes of 50 Tupperware each. (Clue: It happened to me once on a Christmas night.)

The boys were thrilled that I chose to go out to Souplation for my birthday dinner. They loved it. While we were there, the cashier did not charge me because it was my birthday. It sure saved my husband a ten dollar buck for my meal. Not only getting a free meal, the manager decided to give me a bag of homemade chocolate chips cookies. (I'm not always fonds of eating cookies, but knowing that it made my boys happy.) They even had a chance to sing me a Birthday Song.

Overall, I would say that it was one of my nicest birthday gifts I have had. Getting a sweet surprise b-day party was a nice way to start off the day despite of locking myself out of a classroom.

3 comments:

Deby said...

What a lovely birthday! Parties, cupcakes, adoring children, the PERFECT birthday gift, a great dinner, beautiful flowers - I am so glad you had such a great birthday.

You totally deserved it!

Happy Birthday to you my fellow Aquarian and most wonderful sister in law.

Furry Bottoms said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic day! I'm so glad! :)

Anonymous said...

souplantation! wow used to dine with parents often! surely missed the place! what a good memories you locked out your own classroom on your birthday!! how nice of everybody & students greet your birthday!!hugs