Saturday, January 31, 2009

Star Students

Was it my dream that both of my sons were getting Star Students on the same month? It woke me up after I faced the reality at the assembly. It sure made me feel very proud that my hard work has paid off.

I received the first envelope from Ryan's teacher in his backpack. Seeing a white envelope did not across my mind that would brighten my day. When I first read the enveloped, I felt like I was a child jumping of a Christmas Present that I have always wanted. That was one of the destinations that I wanted him to achieve in his challenging class-mainstream class. His teacher chose him for Notable Improvement because he started out refusing to write a sentence a month ago. A month later, he wrote three to four sentences on his own. Not only improving his writing skills, he also was willing to complete the class task without needing to bring any extra assignments at home.

Frankly, I have to tell you. Ryan has come a LONG WAY. He used to have a REAL BAD temper tantrum such as throwing the shoes, helicopter or other sharp toys up in the air when he got frustrated. Several times in the past, he dashed off like he was a runner for the Olympic and won gold medal. But after he had learned to communicate from me and other people who also helped him changed for better. Instead of expressing his frustration, he also interacted and communicated well with his classmates, relatives and strangers from the playground.

Thus, I felt that it was right that he deserved to get a Notable Improvement for overall in academic and behavior as well. I MUST say that I very proud of him, so did all of the people who worked with him at his school site. At the award, Ryan was behaving WONDERFULLY without resisting to go up in a front of proud parents and teachers. He even participated lots of hand-on songs.

Ryan was NOT the only ones who got an award for this month. So when Dylan handed me a white envelope from his teacher in my classroom, it triggered to me that he must have done wrong. But I was so glad I was wrong because I was DELIGHTED to see that his teacher also noticed that he has improved incredibly in his combo class: 2nd/3rd grade class. It also meant that he received an award for "Notably Improvement" too.

His attitude has changed a WHOLE lot better after he came back from a Winter Break. He was more cooperated with us. Dylan has now accepted that he is now in a challenging class. The reason why the teacher noticed that he has improved a lot because he is able to do the Main Idea at 3rd grade level and had passed all of his multiplication table. I must admit that I did not learn to do the multiplication at the end of a third grade class, but Dylan is only second grade.

At the assembly, Dylan was SURPRISED that he was chosen by his teacher. (He did not know what was in the white envelope when he handed it to me) He had his chest stick out as he was showing his Pride. Who doesn't blame him? It made me chuckled and smiled to see that he was proud.

Again, I must say that I am incredibly PROUD of Dylan showing his best behavior and academic within a month. In my heart, he will continue to do from now on because he and I made an agreement that he would have a lunch with me if he shows his positive attitude all week.

The principal told me that it seldom to have a sibling getting Star Students on the SAME MONTH! She patted my shoulder for what I have done wonderfully to my wonderful sons: Dylan and Ryan. She even let my aide watched one of my students for an hour while I was able to witness my sons' proudest moment.

1 comment:

Deby said...

You have two amazing, wonderful, talented and quite fabulous sons. I am so glad that they both got awards. They must feel so good about their accomplishments.

Good job Mom!! You done good.