Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bookworms

The research about literacy indicates that 20 percent of Americans read below a sixth grade level by the time they graduate from high school. Even worse, for those who were not exposed to reading at an early age are likely to drop out of high school. Don't let this scare you? It is never too late to start reading with your children, grandchildren, or someone that you love.

After I took Deaf Literacy class during my graduate program, I vowed that I would read books to my children. I already started reading many varieties of books to my sons from the time of their birth every single night. Despite my hectic days and occasional preschooler resistance, I’ve read a wide variety of books to my sons every single night from the time of their birth. It takes a LOT of patience to get them to fall in love with the books, but persistence pays.

Dylan started reading books during his spare time when he was fourteen months old, a month before his brother Ryan was born. Even at age six, he still likes reading books. (Thank goodness!) His favorite book of all times is Ten Little Fish. Besides reading books, he also learning to enjoy other written media. The comic character Garfield is a special favorite. Thanks to his dad who always likes to read the newspaper. He learned to love books and the newspaper from his dad. I am so proud both of his teachers from pre-school and kindergarten said that his reading comprehension, including writing sentences, recognizing simple words and spellings, is a lot higher than his classmates.

Like I said that it takes a lot of patience to teach your child to love books, it took a while to have Ryan enjoy reading. At age three and a half, he finally started liking books since he sees books everywhere: his bedroom, his pre-school, and bookstores. He asks me to read books to him every single night. Mostly, he prefers me to read any Thomas books. This was also one of Dylan's favorites so I am bored sick with reading the series, but I know that it is critical to encourage him if he is to continue to enjoy the books.

Just a few months ago, he astounded me that he does read few words from the book on his own. His teacher from his pre-school said that he is the only ones who know how to spell the month without looking at the calendar and is the only one in his general education class that could read the English print "three!" Boy, I was stunned but yet proud!

Without a doubt, the investment of my time is paying off well. I will continue to read books to them any time they ask me to even when they can read for themselves.

3 comments:

Deby said...

You go girl! My mother taught us to love books by sitting for hours in bookstores.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Ginger said...

What couyld be better than reading? It's so portable and like a vacation in your mind. It's great that they are learning the joy so young!