Monday, May 21, 2007

Brotherly Love

Is it a miracle having siblings bonding so well? My sons seem to be siblings who get along at most of the times, though they are fifteen months apart. I think this helps a lot because they have similar interests. At times, though they have love/hate relationship.

Dylan is a great role model for his brother, Ryan, who was diagnosed as Persuasive Development Disorder Non-Known Syndrome (PPD-NOS as known on the Autism Spectrum.) He has taught him communication skills, interaction skills, etc. Daily, monthly,yearly, I see their relationship growing!

Last year, Ryan only spoke one to two words per sentences. With Dylan constantly yammering Ryan, he has leaped from two words to eight words per sentence! Wow! There are times I have seen them talking to each other: bathtub, reading books, trains and so forth next to each other. Dylan occasionally even interpreted for us what Ryan had previously said including teaching him signing (Of course, Ryan sometimes signs.) What a love!

I love to watch Ryan's emerging expressive and receptive skills. I know that Dylan also has been a great teacher with those skills as well as how Dylan is Ryan's Idol! Ryan also learns to interact with the family members, classmates, and even strangers such as at Carl's Jr. or McDonald's indoor playground set. They also like to wrestle and play hide and seek together. Ryan is learning to stay hidden until I find them both. They are lucky ducks that I didn't hear their giggling and scampering from hiding place to hiding place, or I would have caught them sooner! I love seeing them smiling and giggling together, it touches my heart. I have also enjoyed watching them playing with their Thomas the trains in their bathtub, sandbox, or even taking trains to their beds. I must admit that I am getting sick of their Thomas and his Friends obsessions! Unfortunately, they had agreed to stick together by ignoring my encouragement to try other toys. If you have any thoughts on how to evict Thomas and gang in lieu of other toys, I'm all ears!

I love their commodore! They hug each other and show affection toward each other! It kills me on those rare occasions when they fight! At times, I have seen them slapping each other's back (ouch!) or even yelling at each other. Thank goodness, I can't hear their angry voice, but their facial expressions display their emotions loud and clear. Yep, sometimes their down right nasty to each other! I can't wait until their older... NOOOOO!!!!

No matter where their relationship stands, it considers themselves as a gift from God-their love for each other!

2 comments:

Deby said...

I love hearing about their relationship. They will always have each other, even if they don't always like each other. : ) Every day that I have my two rug rats, I am amazed at how you handled the two boys. I never saw you as frazzled as I feel all the time. Miss you! This blogging thing is cool, huh!

Mandee said...

I loved reading about your boys- especially about playing hide and seek! So funny!

Aaron says he likes David's haircut!

And tell us more about the PPD-NOS. They are both very handsome boys!