Thursday, May 17, 2007

Did You Know?

This evening, my family and I went to a nearby bookstore for an hour. While I was there, I found a Science book with a lot of interesting facts. So, I thought to share it with you all of what I have learned.

1. Your body temperature rises slightly as you digest a large meal.

2. Every time you lick a stamp, you've consuming one tenth of a calorie.

3. Six year olds laugh an average of 300 times a day.

4. Adults laugh 15 to 100 times a day. Laughing lower levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system.

5. A nondairy creamer is flammable because it contains so much palm oil.

6. Most lipsticks, nail polish, artists' paint and ceramics contain a silvery substance called a "pearl essence" obtained from the herring and other fishes.

7. A rat can survive longer without water than a camel.

8. When bats fly out of a cave, they always turn left.

9. It takes lobster about 7 years to grow to weigh one pound.

10. Sharks have one of the best immune systems in the animal kingdom. Studies show that they resist every disease, including cancer.

11. All clams start out as males but they change into females later in the lives.

3 comments:

Deby said...

I am really going to have to learn to laugh more. Wow... 300 times. I'll start now. he he he

Ginger said...

What a great book! Did you buy it? I can think of some great ways to use that in your classroom. You could have a "Question of the Day(Week)" and see if the kids could find the answer from another source such as internet or books. Pass out rewards for winners. (Sometimes I miss teaching. Can you tell?)

Laura and the family said...

No, I wish I was rich to buy this interesting book. This is an excellent idea to create "Question of the Week/Day" for the students. Yeah, I know you missed teaching... why don't you volunteer in teaching? This way will keep your resume' up.